Wedding a surprise to bride

• Chase
    March 5, 2008 8:56 p.m.

Hey Shannon and Gary way to go. Everyone here on Lake street is very happy for you.
    Don't pay attention to anything anyone says. They don't know you, so who cares what they think.
    We know you two love each other and that is all that matters. Good-luck and best wishes.

• RE: Classic
    March 5, 2008 7:25 a.m.

20+ years? She is 22 he is 40. For the record that is 18 years. she has two feet on him? he is 4'8" and she is 5'7". That is 11" which is less that half of 2 feet. The article kinda mentioned both of these facts or did you not read the article?

• Frank
    March 4, 2008 3:54 p.m.

Anon - ""Look at their picture. They do not look in love. Both their hands are folded and held between their knees. Why aren't they holding hands if they are so in love? ""

Both with their hands between their knees. Looks like they are more compatible than I thought. I would only agree with that comment if he had his hand between his knees and she had hers in her pockets.

• Surprise Wedding?
    March 4, 2008 2:47 p.m.

How can anyone be THAT surprised about their own wedding without the preliminary (legalities) process? Duh! The marriage license needed to be signed obviously by both parties. It is all very romantic and CHEEZY at that. No matter what--just hope the marriage works out and you both want the same out of it. GOOD LUCK--you will need it. Congratulations.

• The Mighty Led Zeppelin
    March 4, 2008 11:35 a.m.

I also looked up to Gary. His attitude and smile will always be remembered and an inspiration. I was always shorter than everybody and picked on. I became a bully beater and nobody messed with me. I am now 5'8 and my wife is the short one at 5'1. So the height difference is almost the same but I am the giant. I married a cute and hot Latina. I am a very lucky man. You cannot be fooled or judge size. Gary is larger than life. Not many celebrities are as cool as Gary is because of his great character.

• To anonymous
    March 4, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Give me a break, I am 54, been married to my husband for 4 years, we were both widowed. My husband has a disability and he can't raise his arms to put around me when we sit and we never hold hands. Believe it or not, love isn't always communicated through the physical, I do plow my husband down for hugs. And honestly, I hate seeing people gush over each other in public, love and affection is personal and what Gary and his new wife do as to public affection or private is nobody's business.

• Idaokie
    March 4, 2008 8:20 a.m.

Congratulations to the newlyweds. May you find much happiness together.
    P.S. Shame on all those readers who have left rude comments!!!

• anonymous
    March 4, 2008 7:31 a.m.

• Classic...
    March 4, 2008 5:46 a.m.

He is 20+ years older than her and she has two feet on him. Gives hope to all the old, short dudes out there that all hope isn't lost. Can anyone say the odd couple?

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 5:32 a.m.

To AKJen

"Only in Utah...and only in the Deseret Morning News..."???? No...they were on the TODAY SHOW (#1 rated morning news show in the U.S.) in NEW YORK!

Good luck to Gary and his new wife. I always thought the poor guy should just be left alone to have a happy life. He hasn't done anything to deserve the stigma he gets. Good for him to find his piece of Heaven on Earth. Best wishes!

• Troutman
    March 4, 2008 1:14 a.m.

Doctor J of Basketball hall of Fame, Now lives in St. George at stonecliff. Robin Williams just bought a place here at the Ledges. Ceilon Dion lives here for the past 4 years. Spielberg and Robin Williams have bought and invested in a sub-division down here. Rick Upchurch Denver Bronco Hall of Famer lives in Mesquite. These are but just a few that have moved in to Southern Utah and Southern Nevada in Mesquite. Only one problem with all of this. Can you say, Our taxes will skyrocket even more, property that is. Course, I really don't care about property taxes as I am not a man of property. I am as poor as church mice, but oh well, I once was loaded and doing very well, but I prefer not having the responsibility for having money. I like what I have now.I am disabled, and it has taught me a lot of things, including not worrying about every cent that I make!

• Way to Go!!!
    March 4, 2008 1:01 a.m.

Gary and Shannon,

Please accept our family's best wishes. We wish you the best!

• MoJules
    March 3, 2008 11:33 p.m.

I hate to tell you people that are upset about the rude comments, they happen in every topic. I choose to skim over the ignorant people and read the nice ones and it seemed to me that most of them here were nice and encouraging.

• congrats
    March 3, 2008 11:19 p.m.

I'm surprised at some of the comments here. Two people are just trying to live a happy, good life. Congrats to them. I hope the best for them. And I agree, they should sit back and watch Different Strokes together. That was one hilarious show.

• nope
    March 3, 2008 11:03 p.m.

you got it ALL wrong.

Not attractive and no gold to dig for.

• Doucheku
    March 3, 2008 10:36 p.m.

Lets see...a 22 year old attractive woman marries a 40 year old unattractive celebrity midget. Hmmm........can you say "GOLD DIGGER?"

• Ronald A. Young
    March 3, 2008 10:10 p.m.

I never like Different Strokes but I have always like Gary Coleman. Not his acting so much as him. He is a tough guy and went through a lot of illness and came out the otherside okey. Todd did also but in a different way. I remember when Gary Coleman had to be a Security Guard in order to servive and make a living. I have a friend who was a One Term Congressman and had to go be a County Corrections Officer. You do what you have to do if you don't want a hand out. Now I want to see the Movie that they made. They seem like a nice couple and I hope that they remain happy. Maybe have a couple of kids. I have almost that much age spread between my wife and myself. It can work out well for a long, long time. I turned around and twenty mostly good years had gone by and the kids are having High School Graduation in June. One is going to UH Hilo, one to The Community College. Moms going to BYUH Online. I am going to the Social Security Office. I wish the Colemans the Best.

• okiegirl
    March 3, 2008 10:02 p.m.

Congratulations to the Bride & Groom, hope you have a delightful future. For a wedding present you should get all of the episodes of different strokes for her, she would love to see them. I think I watched everyone of them when I was younger.

• Compliment to Utah
    March 3, 2008 6:02 p.m.

I wonder if Utah has more snarky people in it than elsewhere. Makes me not so proud to be from here. I have lived in Washington D.C., Wisconsin, and Europe. Perhaps I should forgive my less traveled counterparts for their small-minded habit of criticizing something that is neither immoral nor illegal but that they imply do not identify with. Yeah, I do get annoyed at some of the attitudes around here, in part because I know in so many ways the people of Utah are high quality...it is the snarky among us who pollute the air with their views. I hope Gary Coleman and his new wife do not read the snooty and judgmental comments in this forum, compounding my embarrassment.

Gary - I enjoyed your acting in Church Ball, and in Different Strokes. Thank you for a job well done. There are good people here in Utah, which I assume you have recognized because you moved here. Please stay, and please ignore the snide remarks from those who have far less talent than you do.

• re:AK Jen
    March 3, 2008 5:14 p.m.

Not "Only in Utah"...

Growing up in LA, celebs are often covered. I knew a few and the intense scrutiny is difficult.

I think it is really amazing that Gary Coleman came to Utah of all places and found happiness.

I guess Todd Bridges had a struggle, but has turned things around and las I heard he has been clean and sober for the past 13 years.

Poor Dana Plato died of an overdose in 1999.

Gary Coleman, to get here, meet and fall in love, is a wonderful story and I could not be happier.

Good Luck to the happy couple, and continued happiness.

• Jordan T.
    March 3, 2008 5:06 p.m.

That's funny! I saw the engaged pair doing some shopping at Forever 21 at the University Mall in Orem, back in Novemember of last year!

Congrats, Gary!

• AK Jen
    March 3, 2008 4:45 p.m.

Only in Utah...and only in the Deseret Morning News....sheesh

• Willie
    March 3, 2008 4:43 p.m.

so, has she converted him yet?

• Matt
    March 3, 2008 3:14 p.m.

I feel a Simpsons episode coming on.

• romance is not dead
    March 3, 2008 11:54 a.m.

It's romantic, geezer. cheesy is going on television to talk about it.

• MoJules
    March 3, 2008 11:12 a.m.

I hope that good things are now happening to Gary Coleman, best to both of them. I always towered over my husband, he was in a wheelchair.

• geezergary
    March 3, 2008 10:59 a.m.

He doesn't want a "cheesy wedding" so he goes to Valley of Fire?! Cheeeeeeeeeeez.

• The bride?
    March 3, 2008 9:02 a.m.

Where is the bride from?

• Hope they make it work
    March 3, 2008 8:10 a.m.

How and where the wedding takes place is cool, but the important thing is that there are plenty of ANNIVERSARIES.