Support Utahn on 'Idol'

• Regionalism
    Feb. 25, 2008 5:29 p.m.

I've never watched the show. Why not believe in meritocracy? Let the best person win? I live in Sacramento. I could care less if a Californian wins. They could move the Kings tomorrow! Interesting.

• Ryan Laren
    Feb. 25, 2008 4:39 p.m.

To "To Ryan Larsen"

I agree. In my case, I was heavily following politics but that's died down and AI kind of took its place!

• Gopherus
    Feb. 25, 2008 4:02 p.m.

I'm a Packers fan. I don't live, and never have lived, in Wisconsin. I don't really follow basketball that closely. When I lived in Oregon I was not a fan of the TrailBlazers because I thought the majority of the team had a bad attitude. I don't think it is wrong for BYU students and alumni to support BYU, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for kids who attend Utah State to do so (and you see it a lot), though that probably has more to do with religion that location.
    To be fair, as far as American Idol goes I don't feel the need to support anyone. If someone performs consistently better than the others I believe they should win, unless they provide a flawed performance at a critical time. In that sense it is much like the playoffs in football. The best person will probably win, but someone may out perform them in the end. When I watch I simply want to see good performances (so if I were to watch more basketball I'd probably watch more Lakers games).

• To Ryan Larsen
    Feb. 25, 2008 1:17 p.m.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and support for David Archuletta. Most people are tribal and David is part of our Utah tribe. I am having fun supporting him on that basis and also because he's extremely talented, humble and personable. You can tell all the judges like him too! IMO, he's easily in the top three male performers based solely on performance and not "tribal loyalty." I will keep voting for him!

• Ryan Larsen
    Feb. 25, 2008 1:09 p.m.

You mean like... turn off the tv and turn on the internet?

• Hatuletoh
    Feb. 25, 2008 11:51 a.m.

Or . . . you could turn off the TV and do anything else. Really, ANYTHING else would be better than doing that. Even sleeping burns more calories, and it's better for your brain.

• Ryan Larsen
    Feb. 25, 2008 9:31 a.m.

Dear Huh?,

It's not about votes. It's about sharing the excitement of a local family- as a community. I checked it out because I heard someone say that a local kid was on. I've since become a fan.

It's just raising awareness of the talent so everyone can tune in and enjoy.

Kindly,

Ryan

• Support
    Feb. 25, 2008 9:15 a.m.

How many of you naysayers (Gopherus, Huh 8:51) follow the Olympics? Do you find yourself rooting for U.S. athletes even though you know nothing about them, the competition, or the sport they compete in? Why, then? Because they represent your country. If that's a "stupid reason", then so be it.

Are you a Jazz fan? Why? Because they represent your city & state. If that's a "stupid reason", then let's all become Atlanta Hawks fans - after all, Mike Bibby is "awesome".

• Ryan Larsen
    Feb. 25, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Gopherus,

Is it silly for Utah residents to support the Utah Jazz? For BYU alumni to support BYU teams? For UofU alumni to support UofU teams?

You don't have to vote for him to support him; you can cheer and hope that he performs well.

kindly,

Ryan

• Huh?
    Feb. 25, 2008 8:51 a.m.

Why not support Michael? He is awesome. Voting for someone because they live by you is a pretty stupid reason to vote for them.

• Gopherus
    Feb. 25, 2008 8:07 a.m.

Nothing wrong with supporting the most talented person in a talent contest. It is just silly to suggest that such support should be based on sharing geography. I'd suggest that David will represent himself. Our state is represented more by policies than by the behavior of individuals (good or bad).

• Mc
    Feb. 25, 2008 8:01 a.m.

It's only silly if they really aren't good. David Archuletta is amazingly talented and will represent our state well.

• Gopherus
    Feb. 25, 2008 6:57 a.m.

Perhaps people should support the person they think is the best or who's style they prefer. It is silly to support someone because they are from the same geographic location as you.