Bluffdale Council shuns rail stop

• Bluffdale Sweetheart
    May 8, 2008 4:55 p.m.

I live in Bluffdale, and for years I supported the idea that Bluffdale remain rural. However, it is virtually impossible to keep up the farming community it once was with such close vicinity to more developed cities. Bluffdale remains rural only in population according to the Census Bureau, and that is likely to change in the near future. If we wanted to keep the city rural, why did we allow Springiew Farms? other developments? There's just no way to keep the city rural when we're so close to urbanized cities. Plus, what harm could a train stop do? I disagree whole-heartedly with the council's decision. This could have been a good thing for Bluffdale.

• Mike Packard
    Feb. 24, 2008 11:26 a.m.

Bravo Bluffdale!

Bravo, for saying no to the UTA juggernaught of 19th century trains. And,

Bravo for thinking about what is best for your citizens and not just going with the flow of most of the cities along I-15 and West Valley. They demand these trains, even though a 1996 Federal Congressional resolution once characterized light rail and commuter rail projects as "expensive civic window dressing".

The only other city to say NO! to UTA was Sandy, back in 1998, when it told UTA it would not contribute toward a study of putting TRAX up 94th South.

Stick to your guns, Bluffdale!

• Can I drive through?
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:03 a.m.

Bluffdale does not want stores, gas stations, or train stops. They want citizens from other cities to pay for their right to be a rural heaven. I say no more money to Bluffdale for streets and schools from other entities. Let them build their own school district and support their own life style. Bluffdle should be a gated city.

• Tim
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:58 a.m.

The Bluffdale time warp continues. Maybe the next big earthquake will clean up the hamlet of bluffdale. No wait the city council will just vote to rebuild as a separatist nation! Enjoy driving your suburbans and pulling your horse trailers in congested traffic outside of Bluffdale!

• Kip Adderly
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:03 a.m.

I would imagine a number of Bluffdale residents commute to either Orem/Provo or Salt Lake. I would think that a commuter rail stop would be supported by a majority of their residents and council. However, it appears they do not. My summation then would be that they might support a 12 foot wall surrounding the city then?

• Rural is dying
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:38 a.m.

Along the Wasatch Front the rural lifestyle is dying off. There is no way it can persist in such explosive growth and land values. If you want rural then move further away, as all the bigger farmers have done. They've been able to make a bunch of money by selling their land, which has allowed them to buy similar farms further away, plus have the capital to invest in better machinery and a better home. To turn down something like a rail stop is just plain silly. Thinking of the quality of resident it would bring to the area makes me think of my family outside NYC, living in a $700k home in a quiet suburb just a 45 min train ride to the big city. Get a clue and join the future, don't die in the past!

• Kevin
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:32 a.m.

If Bluffdale doesn't want a rail stop, I'm OK with that. I will not be boarding or departing the train in Bluffdale, so their decision will save me a few minutes on each ride and save UTA some cash. We should all enthusiastically applaud their decision. Bluffdale would be an origin, not a destination stop, so the council's decision will harm the city's residents, but no one else.

• jmdspk
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:28 a.m.

Now come on Jeff, if the people in Bluffdale just keep their head in the sands, the growth is going to magically pass them by, NOT!!

• Jeff
    Feb. 22, 2008 6:07 a.m.

Bluffdale, wipe the pasture mud off your glasses! You want to maintain the rural nature of your city in a county of 1.3 million people that is expected to grow to over 2 million in the coming decade or so. Wow, go ask Midvale that in hindsight if they would have allowed the interchange on 1-15 at 78th south 40 years ago. Their decision to not allow it eventually killed their downtown when that is what they thought they were protecting. Your council is being blind and naive about what is coming to your city's doorstep in the next 10 to 15 years. The funny thing is that these people will call this leadership.