Mitt says he'd be best at fixing the economy

• Anonymous
    Jan. 23, 2008 9:12 p.m.

FYI Nevada,
    I never said a word about taxes. I said use some financial responsibility and stop trying to do nothing to get rich. I don't want house prices sky high because I feel bad for those poor, young first time homebuyers. From my lurking around reading comments on these websites I've found that all conservatives are interested in is scare tactics and tearing other people down. It's a real disappointment knowing that most of the conservatives here are of the majority religion around here and have such disrespect for other people. I am also of the religious majority which automatically makes conservatives think I'm some sort of apostate. However I probably keep the commandments just as well as you do. You'd think you'd want to hear an opinion other than your own once in a while. I shouldn't have been hanging out in such a narrow minded area of the internet. My mistake.

• FYI Nevada
    Jan. 23, 2008 6:18 p.m.

To Anonymous...Right lets raise taxes on everyone as the lib's want to do. That will really help the economy go into the toilet! Sometimes I wonder if the lib's even have a brain!!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 22, 2008 8:11 p.m.

We're already in a recession, I heard it's official today. Maybe if people weren't so greedy and ready to make house prices everywhere as high as in California this wouldn't be happening. All over my neighborhood in the past couple of years all I've heard is how great it is that we have so much equity in our houses- as if that makes us rich somehow. I haven't seen my family's income go up in correlation to the rise in house prices, or food prices or gas prices. And eight years of G.W. certainly hasn't helped. It's likely most of Romney's supporters were Bush supporters too, and look how well that turned out. We're all worried about the economy. At least this is a legitimate concern, unlike all the fear over gay marriage that drove the 2004 election, spearheaded by the Bush campaign.

• Front runners
    Jan. 22, 2008 5:50 p.m.

I thought it would be a guliani Vs. clinton battle all of 2008. But as the economy has fell out. those two simply have a loss for words. The U.S. economy is what makes the world go around. Don't vote for anyone but Romney. Unless you want a recession. He has a plan the other too mentioned above plans are for a perfect world.

• Hillary
    Jan. 22, 2008 4:09 p.m.

If she were a man, I'd still think she was scary. It's not the gender, it's the person.

• libmor
    Jan. 22, 2008 2:36 p.m.

Educated Republican- In the Illinois State Senate (Not the U.S.)Obama voted present rather than yes or no 130 times out of 4000. Not that many percentagewise. He explained one questionable vote of present also.
    I'm not counting out Hillary Clinton either. I think an Obama/Clinton ticket would be very interesting. I don't mind Edwards either but it doesn't look good for him. And before I hear anymore people calling Hillary mean and scary ask yourself if you would think that if she were a man. I think we should be beyond such discrimination anymore. Besides, could she possibly be meaner or scarier than Cheney?

• Educated Republican
    Jan. 22, 2008 12:53 p.m.

I have studied the platforms, but more importantly, I have researched what each candidate has achieved. Romney by all means is the most qualified and accomplished by far.

Obama is a magnificent Orator and uses past speeches of famous Presidents and leaders, quoting them and altering their quotes. To be a great Speaker does NOT qualify him to be President. He has no experience and even after watching the debate last night, admitted that he did not vote either yes or no over 100 times in his brief 2-year term as a Junior Senator.

• matthew r
    Jan. 22, 2008 11:17 a.m.

Mitt is such a real deal. Huckabee crosses the line of being mean and dishonest. i hope he is done after Florida. Gulianni will be done to. it is between McCain and Romney. I think Romney would be superb. And I think McCain or Condi rice would a great VP.

• libmor
    Jan. 22, 2008 10:53 a.m.

As an independent I will be going to the Feb. 5th primary and casting my vote for Obama- because the Democrats will allow me to do that. Mitt Romney may be able to handle the economy (yes that's important) but he isn't the only one out there who can do that. Besides that it will be business as usual as far as Iraq goes. McCane is the only Republican I can see becoming president and removing that sick feeling I've had in the pit of my stomach since Bush was elected in 2000. A democrat like Obama is the only way to regain trust from the rest of the world and make me feel like I still live in a country where independent thought is appreciated and hoped for! It won't be bad if Romney gets the nomination- he doesn't stand a chance against Clinton or Obama. If you want to guarantee a Democratic President vote for Romney! People, please, you may not agree with me but at least have the courage to study every candidate's platform- Republican or Democrat. That's what I'm going to do.

• Baker
    Jan. 22, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Romney's style of management

Mitt Romney is facing new questions about his past financial dealings revealed during his tight 1994 Senate race.

During that election it was discovered Bain Capital, a Boston-based private equity group Mr. Romney led from 1984 to 1999, had acquired a company called Ampad for $5 million in 1992. Ampad, in turn, had bought an Indiana office supply store called SCM. Then the axe fell.

"We were just fired," Randy Johnson, a former worker at the Marion SCM plant, told the Los Angeles Times. "They came in and said, 'You're all fired. If you want to work for us, here's an application.' We had insurance until the end of the week. That was it. It was brutal."

All 350 SCM workers were laid off and then offered their jobs back at reduced wages.

• Female in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Jan. 22, 2008 9:53 a.m.

It is my firm belief that most of the major news organizations (mostly liberal Democrats), both local and national TV/Cable, are doing their best to discredit Romney. It is clear what their agenda is, simply to manipulate the American people from casting their vote for Romney, that way it is almost guaranteed that the next President will be a Democrat. Romney would certainly be the most formidable candidate. We finally have the possibility of having an honest, open-minded, ethical, intelligent Presidential candidate, and when it comes to our economy, he is definitely the only one who has the knowledge and understanding of economics, which qualifies him to find the best economic advisers. This is the first time in years that I am finally proud and confident to cast my vote. I take nothing for granted, Romney needs my vote and yours to become the next President of the USA.

• Media
    Jan. 22, 2008 9:02 a.m.

The mainstream media continually discounts Romney in hopes that someone will beleive them. They are running scared that if Romney wins, he will ultimately whack either Hillary or Obama in the general election. The two Dems can't hold a candle to Romney's credentials or accomplishments.

• FYI Nevada
    Jan. 22, 2008 8:46 a.m.

Very interesting interview Shan Hannity had last night with Jack Kemp about McCains problems with the conservative base and his record on tax issues. According to Kemp now McCain says voting against tax cuts was a mistake McCain has seen the light and is now for tax cuts. McCain now says the McCain-Feingold was a mistake now he is against it. McCain was against repealing the death tax now hes for it. McCain wanted to increase Social Security Taxnow hes against that. Im waiting for McCain to change on immigration next.

Kemp emphatically stated the McCain admits he made a mistake in judgment. Now that these issues are a problem for McCain he has changed his mind. Again, according to Kemp thats ok because we all make mistakes. I dont know but are we suppose to believe he really saw the light and changed his mind or is this a flip-flop on these issues.

Can you imagine the headlines if this was Romney!!!

I for one would never trust McCain with the highest office in the land. Romney has been the consistent voice from the GOP. Look for Romney to win in Florida.

• Dutchman
    Jan. 22, 2008 8:25 a.m.

New Rasmussen poll from Florida dated January 20th: Mitt 25% McCain 20% Guiliani 19% Huck 13%. Mitt's message about the economy is catching on with the voters. A Mitt Romney - Gen. David Petraues (sp ?) ticket would be devastating to the Democrates. Romney stong on economic issues and Petraues strong on national defense and anti-terror issues. Wow, what a team that would be. Please Republicans do not squander this opportunity.

• Just Wondering
    Jan. 22, 2008 6:37 a.m.

Why do news reports always discount Romney's results in Iowa and New Hampshire. They always say he struggled to find support in early states. He came in second in both places.

• Aussie Observer
    Jan. 22, 2008 5:46 a.m.

This Romney guy could be the best politician you Yanks have had since Honest Abe. For the sake of the free world,don't miss the chance to elect this gentleman!

• Iraqi Coug
    Jan. 22, 2008 4:29 a.m.

I believe if Huckabee withdraws before 5 Feb many of those voters will flow into Romney's camp and that scenario would give him the best chance of winning the nomination. Most Iowa voters favored Romney for a long time and the conservative Christens are drawn to his morals, family life, etc; if not his religion. He should do well.