GM, 4 coaches spent offseason looking to upgrade RSL's roster

• Eugene
    Jan. 12, 2008 10:56 a.m.

I think 08 will be a big year for RSL. The team is considerably stronger than last season and with the addition of Joy, potentially Borchers and likely Julius James at #3 in the draft, the defense will be shored up with high quality veterans and youth. And that's not even including what you'll do with the 14th and 17th picks in the draft.

Putting Jason Kreis into the driver's seat was a hugely productive move for the team.

Now with a full pre-season to bring the team together and build cohesion, all of the individual talents picked up in 07 will gel, I believe, into a formidable unit.

• tMofS
    Jan. 11, 2008 4:04 p.m.

Glad to see the team is focusing on D, we have many needs, but I believe the absence of Eddie Pope will hurt more than most realize.
    I think we are okay at midfield with many to choose from and Beckerman leading the way.
    It would nice to get a truly productive forward back on the team though considering that nobody has really taken over J. Cunningham's role there quite yet.
    With a bit more tweaking in the back and up front we may finally be able to reach those elusive playoffs...though I won't be holding my breath just yet.

• Tired Season Ticket Holder
    Jan. 11, 2008 1:09 p.m.

Get into Stadium sooner!

• soccerman
    Jan. 11, 2008 11:56 a.m.

What?!?!? I thought the stadium was going to be ready in August? Wasn't the plan to host Real Madrid for the Grand Opening? Who cares if everything is finished, let's lay down some turf and seats, and start playing in RSL Stadium. If we're hoping to get into it in 2008 it had better be earlier than October, if not, what's the hurry with construction?

• Loyal To RSL
    Jan. 11, 2008 10:16 a.m.

I know we need help on the back line, and I don't question the attempt to get Joy or Borchers, but your defense will never win games. They can prevent you from losing games. You can't win if you can't score. And RSL has always had a problem putting the ball in the back of the net. I would like to see an impact attacking player, whether it be a forward, wing player or A-mid.

• Exciting stuff
    Jan. 11, 2008 10:15 a.m.

I like to think our recruiting is headed in a positive direction, seeeing as how alot of our decisions in the past have been less than promising.

I really am excited to see what kind of team we can build this season. I expect decent results...we'll get into the new stadium...and then in 09 we will be a contender with the big boys.

• Go RSL
    Jan. 11, 2008 8:35 a.m.

I bet you're right - Borchers wants back in MLS since he team in Norway is getting relegated. Plus he's from Arizona so he should be comfortable out west.

I hope he's the one - if RSL can get him for the right price he would help shore up the central defense.

• RSL fan
    Jan. 11, 2008 8:23 a.m.

I wonder who the defender playing in Norway is... Nat Borchers??