Neighborhood mourns Lehi woman who was gunned down at an LDS church

• Cara
    July 27, 2008 10:28 p.m.

I was also someone blessed enough to know Kristy. She was a great friend - I think these comments lose a little perspective. A woman - a friend, mother, daughter, was killed. She is gone - not allowed to raise her boys. Shame on all of you who lost sight of this injustice. She was a fabulous woman, selfless, funny, and full of life. She will be missed sorely.

• linda
    Jan. 31, 2008 2:50 p.m.

To the
    I was blessed to have known Kristy. I met her when she was 18. Its been years since I last saw her, however Ive thought of her often. Kristy was a sweet, loving and kind friend. She had a bright light about her. I remember Kristys honest love and devotion for her LDS faith, and although I am not LDS myself I will always have deep admiration and respect for all of my LDS friends. I too believe that Kristy is with the Lord. ILoveUKRISTY!!

God Bless the familys
    your all in my thoughts and prayers

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:52 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the victim and the shooter's family. Why You ask the shooter's family, because they have lost someone too. I pray for those little boys, that they will know that mommy is walking with God and watching from above. That they will always find peace with knowing that they have family that loves them very much, and grow up knowing how much their mommy loved them. I have a 23 month old son and a 7 1/2 year old step daughter, and I can't imagine my life with out them. I pray for everyone that is involved. and May God be with everyone in this time of saddness.

• I remember Kristy
    Jan. 18, 2008 11:52 a.m.

When she was a little girl. She was full of life, the sweetest girl--always singing, skipping and jumping. She was three years younger than me and we went to the same church in Washington State. She was the sort of girl that got attached to you, and she left a soft spot in the hearts of many. I hope that her children will know this about her, and that her family knows how much she is remembered.
    God Bless you Kristy.

• friend from Washington
    Jan. 17, 2008 1:31 p.m.

Has anyone talked to the attorney that advised Kristy to go back to the family home kick him out and change the locks?? She was safely back at home in WA with her family. Because she might lose everything! Now give me a break. She might still be alive, and struggling a little but alive just the same. Kristy was a wonderful carring person as is the rest of the family. Unfortunately David didn't go on the run! Then he may have been dealt with accordingly by law enforcement. Life in prison is not enough.

• SquiddyPopPerkyJean
    Jan. 11, 2008 12:27 p.m.

To The "EXPERTS":

You claim to know what & why and blame it on Mormon culture, gun laws, anti-depressants, abusive men (as though all men are evil)... You claim to know the hearts of Kristy and David.

Maybe you've never done anything wrong or regrettable in your whole entire life. Wow, you are perfect, congratulations! You are so perfect and righteous that you don't even need Christ's atonement. You're special that way. You can sit high in judgment and not have to follow God's commandment to forgive all men, like the rest of us. You're above that. How great you are!

BUT NO. You DON'T know the hearts of the families involved, you don't know what was going on in the lives of Kristy and David. Maybe you casually knew one or both and think you have the whole picture.

You don't know the pain of both families, nor the hearts of anyone connected. Yes, laws of the land will apply, but only God will ultimately decide where to apply mercy and forgiveness. Personally, I am amazed at the forgiveness shown by those affected and the healing that has already begun. We'll never forget, but we'll have Christ's help.

• Drugged-Up
    Jan. 10, 2008 3:15 p.m.

He was on anti-depressants & I don't think that helped! Read Ann Blake Tracy's book about the effects of anti-depressants.

I sad for the children & my heart goes out to them.

• OldManC
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:26 p.m.

To Lee who posted above, I think you should worry more for your reading or viewing comprehension before making comments. It was the Palizzi family who made the statement regarding judgment, not David's sister. The two families involved here are united in trying to recover from this horrible tragedy so that the children left behind might have a chance at building healthy lives. It was the Palizzis who asked that people like you stay out of the judgment game, not the Ragsdales. In this matter, you are nothing but a bystander, ignorant of the facts. It's people like you that will make it hard for those of us who are actually involved to move forward and rebuild our lives. Our families love both Kristy and David, and are grieved by what happened. We pray for BOTH of them and their children. I only hope that you never have to endure such a thing in your family, but if you do you will learn that snap judgments like yours are not helpful at all.

• SquiddyPopPerkyJean
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:07 p.m.

TO LEE:

"Would two women be alive today if they were told of the history of the men they were to marry?"

Uh... are you making things up here? There were no secrets from David's past that were being hidden. I am a relative and I'm not sure what rumors you are trying to spread here. Do you know anyone from this family personally?

As far as you thinking that it is David's sister trying to make everyone forgive him: YOU KNOW NOTHING. Kristy's mother has been exceedingly forgiving of her own accord. We all loved Kristy and David both. Ragsdales and Palizzis are all stepping up to the plate to do their best for the boys. Please do not speculate or spread falsehoods when you don't even know these people.

• beachlady
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:38 a.m.

um the story makes complete sence...The article was stating that there were two boys walking by that were just bystanders. It wasnt talking about the couples two children. It also say there were towo other men a little further away. Just bystanders....The boys were just not there that day, weird in the mormon church I know. If you ask me I think the guy snapped because of the pressures of the Mormon Church... sad.

• kirk
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:18 a.m.

to the family:
    I am heart broken by your loss, i was friends with kristy growing up, she was a devine individual, i was shocked to get the call by my sister who attended school with her older brother. I pray for the best to your family, i can only imagine the horror that her mom is feeling right now. I saw kristy some years ago during a visit to home in southcenter and was shocked to her calling my name. She was a very good friend growing up and sounds like she continued being the wonderful person she was back-in-the-day. I pray for your comfort as a family, and am just sick to my stomach that any man could do such a thing to her. God Bless to you all and hope that this message may seek you out. I hope you have a service for her here in washington, for I would love nothing more to attend. She was a dear person and I am truly sorry for not just the loss to your family but to this great nation also. Kristy could light the dark with her cheer. Please take care Palizzi family! GOD BE WITH YOU

• Lee
    Jan. 9, 2008 7:01 p.m.

I think it is interesting that so many people can use this tragedy to launch such insensitive, lame, or calloused comments. A woman was brutally murdered! Children were left without a mother (or a father). It would appear some of the readership would qualify as members of the congregation mentioned in Alma 31--please google for prayer towers. God bless us everyone.

• RE: Confused
    Jan. 9, 2008 1:08 p.m.

"Stray shots also could have struck a nearby home, a witness and two young boys who were walking about 20 to 30 feet away and two other men about 30 to 40 feet away". The article states that there were two young boys NOT HER boys. This article is very informative, learn how to read.

• to ChangeNeeded
    Jan. 9, 2008 12:53 p.m.

"If Obama were president this kind of thing wouldn't happen." Are you kidding me? How insensitive to use a local tragedy to push a political agenda! Crime will happen regardless of the political leadership.

Just curious, how could Obama have deterred this from happening? Switching over to a socialist state? Gone are the days of John Calvin and Joseph Stalin.

• handlebar in wyo
    Jan. 9, 2008 12:38 p.m.

The validictorian of my high school graduation class is sitting at the point of the mountain for killing his wife....too much rocket fuel fumes.

For being LDS as one Jewish rabbi stated: The farther a monkey climbs up a tree the more his butt is exposed.

I feel for the family.

• lee
    Jan. 9, 2008 11:01 a.m.

Without condemnation, I think we need to take a look at ourselves sometimes as members. I see a element to this cold blooded murder that exists in the Hacking case - that being that families are not entirely honest about their childrens (in this case sons) past. Would two women be alive today if they were told of the history of the men they were to marry?

Whilst we do need to forgive, we also need to be honest and realistic about who our children are and what they have done so that we dont perpetuate a lie and create victims.

I do think it abhorrent that Davids sister is endorsing forgiveness. It takes time and should not be dictated by the perpetrators family. Perhaps after the first threat to Kristy's life his family should have taken action: take away his guns, get police involved. Lets stop trying to sweep things under the carpet

• ChangeNeeded
    Jan. 9, 2008 9:34 a.m.

If Obama were President this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

• Occasional reader
    Jan. 9, 2008 9:17 a.m.

I also agree that the comment board spoils the news. I would like to draw my own conclusions and do my own pondering after reading an article and not have it all distorted by everyone else's opinions. I only read the comments occasionally and prefer to write positive ones myself. Reading the comments for this article has cured me. I won't be checking them again.

• NY
    Jan. 9, 2008 8:05 a.m.

I can't believe it, but sure enough some loose screw actually did play the "only in Utah" card. Yeah, here in Syracuse, NY we never have violence against women.

• Im LDS
    Jan. 9, 2008 6:13 a.m.

Shame on you D News for having this comment board. It is a damn shame and all of you will be held accountable for its effects. However, dont listen to me because I know you will never drop your comment board because of the number of visitors you have each day.

• PLEASE
    Jan. 9, 2008 1:47 a.m.

When will there be a moderator to these posts? Comon Des News! Nobody needs to read the trash that is posted on these free for alls. God bless the victims.

• What protection?
    Jan. 8, 2008 11:37 p.m.

"The temporary protective order protected not only Kristy Ragsdale but her mother and her two young sons, Brandon, 4, and Carter, 19 months."

Doesn't sound like the protective order protected anyone to me?

• RE: LD ese
    Jan. 8, 2008 7:59 p.m.

LD ese, this is not the place for your bigoted remarks. This should be a place to offer kind words to a grieving family/friends and to try to understand how we can change things to try and prevent situations like this in the future. No one wants to hear any of your rantings or cheap shots against the LDS church. You should hide your head in shame.

• ED CLINCH
    Jan. 8, 2008 6:22 p.m.

I challenge anyone to show that LDS/Mormons in Utah or without the stste have a higher rate of domestic violence than any other population group.

In fact, LDS men are much less likely to hurt or harm their wives (also, LDS men are much more likely to have one wife/sexual partner) than any other group.

Bad things happen everywhere and to all people, but to say that it actually happens more to Mormons in this case is naive and ludicrous.

LDS are generally very successful in marriages, and there are a few who have problems like everyone else.

God bless this family at this time.

• Matt B
    Jan. 8, 2008 6:21 p.m.

Sometimes I think this online comment section is the worst thing that's ever happened to journalism. There are submissions without accountability. In the wake of a mindless act we rave about the sorry government that can't help (shot in the back walking into church), that Utah is a hopeless state and should look to other states who don't have these problems, that Utah County is a bubble that could have somehow seen this coming, that the Mormon church must be flawed to allow this to happen, and that the Deseret News houses incompotent and terrible journalism. Interesting reaction. Makes me sad, but not as sad as the events. My heart goes out to the families (including the husband's family), that ward and neighborhood, and anyone else who's experienced anything similar.

• Mike R.
    Jan. 8, 2008 4:19 p.m.

I want to be on the jury so I can vote to fry his sorry butt.

• LD ese
    Jan. 8, 2008 3:42 p.m.

Another Mormon woman's life taken... hmmm Misogyny seems to reign in the paternalistic cult.... I am sure his other wives are terrified.

• incomprehensible
    Jan. 8, 2008 2:58 p.m.

I am LDS [from the mission field]; and I can't believe what a group of gossiping hens and judgemental people you are. Just by reading your comments I am also guilty of the sin of judging others, yet I must say: it doesn't matter where the 2 sons were, - 2 young boys witnessed a terrible act; it doesn't matter about whether the building was evacuated or locked down; and, it surely doesn't matter if this sister was late for sacrament meeting. A travesty occurred that will have life-long implications for all involved This travesty doesn't need to to be examined by people [especially Church members], like arm chair quarter-backing. 20/20 hindsight is a mortal perspective and we are counselled not to rely in the arm of flesh. Our duty is to pray for ALL involved and try to leave the Judgements in God's hands. WE are to forgive and aid those left behind and pray for strength for all those involved and for ourselves. So , we can retain belief in the words that " His ways are not our ways". God help and strenghten us all to learn how to be kinder to each other and ourselves. Thanks.

• Relocated Southerner
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:55 p.m.

You must be kidding, Barstow, that this only happens in Utah! I venture to say that this type of crime happens in every state in the country. And we know for sure it happens in California -- think about Robert Blake, OJ Simpson, Scott Peterson, etc. What a ludicrous comment!!

• Danite
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:53 p.m.

I agree that any protective order or restraining order should have a mandatory surrender of known firearms when violence has been threatened. I think it is ridiculous that a man can previously threaten harm with a gun and then only a toothless protective allows him to keep his gun which he has threatened somebody with. Although protective orders can be abused, it seems to me they need more teeth in them. Would a protective order requiring surrender of his Glock prevented this senseless killing? Maybe. Maybe not. I would think that your 2nd Am. right to arms should be limited when you have previously threatened a innocent person with that firearm.

• read more carefully
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:40 p.m.

If you did you would see that the article said a witness and two young boys. not her boys. her boys were not there! They were in draper with other family members.

• joyce in Maryland
    Jan. 8, 2008 7:32 a.m.

I am one of the ex wive's of somebody who is doing time in the Utah state Prison for murder. When a husband threatens to kill his wife if she does not do what he wants of her, he means it. If she confides this in somebodey else, believe that she is telling the truth and get some kind of help immediately. If you are the victim of some domestic abuse, make a written and accurate list of what is happening and get out and get a protective order. Don't kick him out, you leave out and hide if you have to. It's better to be hiding than to be dead.

• Only in Utah?
    Jan. 8, 2008 7:12 a.m.

To - RE: I'm confused 6:21 p.m.

"Only in Utah" do crimes like this occur? So I suppose Nichole Brown Simpson, Lacy Peterson, and the hundreds of other women who have been murdered (or allegedly murdered) by their husbands all lived in Utah? Are you next going to tell me that Susan Smith was from Utah?

I fail to understand why some people take advantage of tragedies like this as a way to slam Utah and/or the state's main religion. I often hear people talk about how they're sick of hearing about the LDS Church in the news. Sounds like what they're really saying is, they hate to hear the good, but they love to hear the bad.

• RJ
    Jan. 8, 2008 6:44 a.m.

As a person who takes multiple mental illness medications, I would never carry a gun.

When the court issued a protective order (or restraining order) couldn't that have included a surrender of all firearms? Even if not registered, family and friends would probably know if and what firearms he had and could speak at the hearing.

No person with a court order preventing them from being near another person should be allowed to possess guns.

Did anyone notice that she was late for sacrament meeting?

• Everyone was in danger
    Jan. 8, 2008 6:42 a.m.

Dave was pretty ticked off at everyone involved, including Kristy's mom and the whole neighborhood, for the role that everyone played in helping Kristy get through the tough time of being cheated on. Neighbors witnessed the "girlfriend" leaving the house early in the morning when Kristy was out of town. He had made threats towards Kristy's mom too. So to think that he only endangered one life is ridiculous! Everyone in that building was in danger. Had they not been in contact with him and talked him into the police station so quickly I would think the whole building would have been, or should have been, locked down, but instead was immediately evacuated.

• Think again, More thinking
    Jan. 8, 2008 6:36 a.m.

He was "PUT in a hellish situation"? You make it sound like he was a victim of circumstances. He CHOSE to cheat on his wife. He was sleeping with another woman. As a wife and mother don't you think she was justified in kicking him out for that? He cheated on his first wife, and she left him. Except he kept the infidelity a secret from Kristy. She only learned about that recently. There WERE others present when he threatened the family, and that's documented in the protective order. He's had a long history of lies and deceipt, and he was finally faced with the truth and he couldn't handle it. He wasn't PUT in any hellish circumstances, he put himself in this situation by his own choices.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2008 5:53 a.m.

Dear More Thinking... You are right to suggest there are two sides to every story. However, it's a stretch to jump to the conclusion that Dave was a victim of 'abhorrent' family laws, 'false accusations' or 'hellish circumstances.' He did not have a history of violence, but there were witnesses to his threats. He was also clinically depressed and on medication. The restraining order was there for a reason - in case he snapped, which he did.
    Ironically, women often find themselves at a disadvantage in regards to rights and laws. Both sexes can - and do - abuse the system.
    Last, I didn't really see any mob mentality in these replies (with the exception of the accusations that the article was poorly written by those who misread "two young boys walking nearby" to mean Kristy's sons) only shock, dismay and a lot of sadness for all the families involved.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2008 5:33 a.m.

"Captital murder charges are being considered because [someone] was standing closeby that may have been hit with a stray bullet"?

How about capital murder charges because he gunned someone down in cold blood?

My heart aches for this family and those who live in fear of violence each day.

• Common Sense
    Jan. 8, 2008 3:55 a.m.

....and perhaps the medications had a huge effect! However....murder...cold blooded, murder, planned and executed is just that.

Two things fuel the keeping of abuse of all kinds alive.
    1- Keeping it secret
    2- Making excuses for the abuser

Stop making excuses for this vile act! Even if things were not as "he" wanted them to be there is no excuse for cold blooded murder.

• More thinking
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:35 a.m.

It is very sad, but believe it or not, there is a deeper story here and it involves the hurt, pain and injustice the perpetrator suffered as well. His act was unconscionable, but why did he become so? Part of it deals with the abhorrent family laws that strip fathers from their children and give them no rights in defending themselves against completely false accusations. We don't really know if he ever threatened anyone in front of his children or if it was made up. False accusations in these situations are ubiquitous because they get results for mothers. Did he have a history of violence? What do past family members say about him? What we do know is that if put in hellish circumstances, most humans are capable of doing anything, even this. Instead of sounding like a stupid mob yelling, can we begin to think critically while grieving for them? This is not like Mark Hacking, who was just a selfish pig, this is about a whole family being victimized, and most of all, the poor sons.

• jtm
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:35 a.m.

This kind of crime doesn't happen in Barstow because no one lives there.

• Robo
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:08 a.m.

The whole thing makes me nearly physically ill!

• Ron
    Jan. 8, 2008 12:04 a.m.

I am totally disgusted that this would ever happen! My ex wife threatened a police dispatcher. Nothing ever came of it. She threatened me on many ocassions. Protective orders are as worthless as the paper that they are written on. They only serve as a written deterent in the hope that the person that they are used against will be afraid of the consequences of any violence that he/she may use against the other person. Any other reason for a restraining order is in the mind of the judge. It is used as onlyl a hope that something bad may not happen. Twenty years later my ex still makes threats and "uses" our children. It is a horrible thing. Nothing can or will ever be done. Violence should be treated as such. Unless someone is physically hurt, nothing is ever done.
    No one should ever have to live under the threat of violence against them. May the memory of this live in us and make us better people. May the Lord bless the families. They need it and will need it later from us as well.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2008 11:07 p.m.

I think just living in Barstow alone would drive me insane... If everyone is so confused on the article, go else where to read it. Meanwhile, show sympathy to family & children. the reporting of the story should be everyone lease concern. God bless this Family & especially the children.

• John
    Jan. 7, 2008 10:40 p.m.

The courts have ruled repeatedly that the police have NO DUTY TO PROTECT ANY INDIVIDUAL, but are only obligated to track down attackers after the fact.

The LDS Church has exercised their right under Utah law to prohibit firearms in all their places of worship.

The killer may have selected this time and place to act, knowing that no one there would be armed.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and her family. The despicable killer deserves a fair trial, and a swift punishment.

• fd
    Jan. 7, 2008 10:36 p.m.

I Live in Arizona, and the comment by sad that only one person was in danger true as it is,but what would have happened if this guy would have taken up refuge in the church? Would it have made a difference now? In a lot of cases, this is what happens when an act of violence happens.I am not anti gun and I think that the spoksman was right.If any one's comments needs to be its your's. They were grossley out of place.

• Control?
    Jan. 7, 2008 10:36 p.m.

I find it humorous that everyone wants to claim others should be carrying arms to prevent this but no one wanted to exclaim no guns or even no hand guns! Having lived in nations that have no guns and seeing their amazingly low amount of crime I have a tendency to buy into it, HOWEVER; no gun control or armed guard would have prevented this. The man was either completely mad or simply evil and nothing would have stopped him. Evil exists in this world regardless of our movies, tv, etc. it always has and always will. Prior to the industrial revolution what was society's response to violent crimes? Surely it wasn't Byron's plays? As has been said before all we can do is hope and pray that these unfortunate children will be able to cope and live a happy life. The only prevention would be a man who learned to control himself and communicate with his spouse and that appears it may be the hardest thing to teach some of us men. I pray those children, especially the older son who will remember his parents vividly, will be encircled in the arms of love and mercy.

• Time for Change
    Jan. 7, 2008 9:06 p.m.

This is just an absolutely horrific event for the entire community. I know Dave, I have known him for a couple of years and saw him only days before this happened. There were definitely signs that Dave was a troubled guy but nothing on the surface that would have made you suspect this kind of behavior. I am completely disgusted to find out what had happened leading up to this though, things the authorities knew about. Dave should have been locked up as soon as he threatened this wife on December 4th! I am furious that he was not taken into custody right then. Women and children are the victims of this kind of behavior and until we as a society get the clue here and stop waiting until something horrible like this happens we will continue to see these types of scenes unfold. You should not be allowed to get into a fight with your wife and threaten her with a gun and not go to prison! From what I can tell there were witnesses to that exchange and he should have been investigated and prosecuted! There are no winners in this and Dave should receive no leniency.

• Kat
    Jan. 7, 2008 8:57 p.m.

I agree that they could make it a safer place. Especially after she reported her husband's threats. Wouldn't they keep an eye on that man? Oh well what can be done now? It's a sad time for the family and friends. You're in my prayers.

• Sad incident, sad reporting.
    Jan. 7, 2008 8:50 p.m.

I am in total agreement with the sentiment of the statement by the LDS church spokesman, but it is quite an exaggeration to say “hundreds of worshippers” were “endangered.”
    According to all reports I’ve read only ONE person and possibly a few bystanders were actually endangered. The shooter wasn’t after the entire congregation. He was after ONE individual and used pretty much all of his ammunition on her. The quote by the LDS Church spokesman should have been reported as the gross exaggeration that it was.
    I realize that some gun control advocates want us to believe that ONE gun with one bullet could take out an entire football stadium full of people, but let’s have some accuracy in these reports instead of this anti gun hysteria!
    My sympathy and prayers go out to all who have been affected by this tragedy, but everyone who was affected was not “endangered.”

• Annie
    Jan. 7, 2008 8:46 p.m.

The article does not mention that it took the Lehi Police Department 20 minutes to respond to the scene after it was first contacted. Is this typical?

• Safer Place?
    Jan. 7, 2008 8:17 p.m.

For those that propose that we somehow make this a "safer place" for women and children, what would you suggest? He hadn't committed a crime until he killed her. They issued a restraining order immediately and the police responded to Kristy's request to be there to keep the peace when he moved out. The Lehi police were always there at her request, but you cannot put someone behind bars for "seeing the red flags" of what may happen. Ultimately, people have their own agency and make their own decisions. We cannot PREVENT crime, but let's make sure he's punished accordingly so the consequences match the crime.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2008 8:12 p.m.

Re: I'm confused and others who are uncertain...the article doesn't state that the two young boys were his sons. Just that two young boys were walking nearby, as 'Help to "Im confused" has stated.

The Ragsdales children were in Draper with relatives.

Kristy had finished an interview with her bishop, had left to pick up her mother, and the two women had just returned to the church.

He was waiting for her in the parking lot.

• X
    Jan. 7, 2008 7:15 p.m.

What this man did to his wife (possibly in the presence of their children) was absolutely horrendous. But, I don't have a heaven or a hell to put him in, so I can't pass judgment on him. I just pray for everyone involved.

• T
    Jan. 7, 2008 7:04 p.m.

I agree with you Kris!!! Wake up Happy Valley!!! It's time this State becomes a safer place for women and children!!!! It's time for Law Enforcement to really Protect those who need protection!!! This women had a protective order against this abusive man who was making threats on her life!!! All the red flags were there!! Why wasn't this taken more seriously?! Here we have a middle class beautiful family that looked like the "All American Family" that turned into society's worst nightmare............. and yes it happened here in "Happy Valley!"

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:53 p.m.

No, crimes like this don't just happen in Utah. I live in Fla. and it happens here too.

• I am so sad for this family...
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:35 p.m.

I just couldn't sleep last night and lay awake all night worrying about those little boys and the kind of life they will life from now on. I worry about them asking where "Mommy" is and who is going to help them get through this. I worry about the victim's mother who saw such a horrible, cold-blooded killing and will have to have that nightmare in her head forever. I worry about the witnesses who saw this tragedy and will forever wonder if they could have done "something" to prevent it. I worry about the victim's and the shooter's families as they grieve through this unimaginable tragedy. I do NOT, however, worry about the shooter. I know we are not supposed to judge, but we should all remember that anger is a COMPLETELY NORMAL human reaction to such a tragedy as a murder. The Lord gives us a lifetime to work through our trials, anger, and grief. May God bless them as they grieve and attempt to heal at this incredibly heartbreaking time.

• Utah
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:34 p.m.

I really to hope that last comment about Utah crime was sarcastic becuase honestly. Such ignorance would be beyond reason.

I myself am a concealed weapons carrier and although it may not have helped in this situation, it could have been helpful in others. Suppose he continued his shooting rampage without regard for whom he was shooting killing 9, 10 or more. Would people be grateful for someone who helped by stopping him or still upset about a citizen carrying a weapon. Until your in the situation where you need help against someone on a merciless shooting spree, be careful how you react to those of us who choose to carry weapons. Remember, it's not only to protect us, but to protect you as well. I hope I never have to use my weapon.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims family and friends, from both sides of this horrible event. I pray for an end to such sensless violence.

• Canadian reader
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:34 p.m.

Excuse me, Barstow! "Only in Utah does crime like this happen." You have GOT to be KIDDING!!!!

• 2nd amendment
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:29 p.m.

If we were more apt as a society to defend ourselves and carry weapons, most aspiring criminals would reconsider their devious plans. It does take people actually carrying weapons, and taking action in threatening situations, and the media reporting it, and the government not allowing folks being attacked in court because they did defend life and liberty to work.
    This IS an extremely sad event.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:28 p.m.

Why do people assume the victim is at fault when somethin like this happens? Have we not seen enough domestic violence to recognize that it is all about power and control from the part of the perpetrator? It is repugnant to even try to justify the actions of a person like this.
    The laws need to be changed to provide better protection for women and children when they report abuse of any kind to the authorities.

My sincere condolences to the family of this poor woman; may God comfort them and I hope they have the strength to raise those babies now that they don't have the love of a mother every child needs to grow up.

Please show respect to this woman in her death, and allow her family to mourn appropiately.

• RE: I'm confused
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:21 p.m.

You are right. Only from the Deseret News do you get such indecisive information. Such communication accounts for poor and lazy journalism.

As for the crime itself - I'm glad I live in Barstow, California. Only in Utah does crime like this occur.

• Kris
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:21 p.m.

My sister was killed in Lehi almost 4 years ago by her husband..........
    Maybe the police could work on that????
    They missed it when my sister died........
    And the Judge in Provo, didn't throw the book at him, which would of saved her.......because he would of been behind bars instead of playing with her mind.
    Could they have helped more here?

• anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:16 p.m.

The children were definitely not there and were in Draper at the time of the shooting, no matter what is reported.

• discrepancies
    Jan. 7, 2008 6:08 p.m.

The article has a few discrepancies.

• Learn from this
    Jan. 7, 2008 5:57 p.m.

We can all learn from this tragedy to address problems before they get to the proportion that a person reacts in anger and does insane things like this. We are not David's judges. The Lord is his judge and He knows the whole story. Let's learn the things we need to know and leave judgement to the Lord.

• Too much Violence
    Jan. 7, 2008 5:52 p.m.

It is sad that our world is so violent. Our TVs, Movies, Video Games portray so much violence, that it is becoming the norm. We are too indoctrinated. It seems that now a day we solve all our problems or conflicts with violence. I see no solution to change such behaviour. I am afraid we might be beyond turning things around. I suppose we can personally shun all forms of violence in our personal lives,in hopes and hope that others might do the same. What is sad is that a person who may try and avoid all forms of violence still can become a victim of violence.

May the survivors of this violent act find the peace "which passeth all understanding..and keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus".

• Speechless
    Jan. 7, 2008 5:36 p.m.

Even if she had a gun it was reported she was shot in the back, she never had a chance. It is so sad he decided not to be responsible and not have a gun when he was clearly in mental distress as reported by his use of medications. There is just no one cure for this infected world in which we live.

• clarifying confusion
    Jan. 7, 2008 5:30 p.m.

I hope this helps, but the Desnews.com earliest account had the boys in "his," Ragsdale's home. An updated version, several hours later, has them 20-30 feet away and at the church as stated by the prosecuter--hence the capital murder charge. I suspect the Desnews.com left the early edition paragraph in, unedited or perhaps an editing oversight, in an effort to keep readers updated as to the situation.

So sad, so crazy, so many prayers needed!!

• Say What?
    Jan. 7, 2008 5:12 p.m.

Some of the comments suggest that if the victim here had been packing heat, this wouldn't have happened. Gee, I wonder what would have happened if she had been carrying a gun? Would she have had warning and opportunity to react? Or are you suggesting that a bystander draw a gun and drop the dirt bag in his tracks after he commits his murderous act? Could senseless shootings of this nature really be prevented by everybody being armed? Or would it just turn into a bloodbath with authorities not knowing who the bad guy is?
    I am a second amendment supporter, but I fail to see that everybody packing heat is a viable solution to the crazy state of our society.

• Confused, too...
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:44 p.m.

I agree with "I'm Confused". The story is contradicting, stating at one point that Ragsdale's sons were walking a short distance away during the shooting, but also that they were at his home in Draper. Which was it?

All other reports have said the boys were at his home in Draper, so I think that was likely the case. Were they left there all alone, though? No reports have said he left them under anyone's supervision. They were very young children. Why did he have them with him, anyways? I would think with those threats Kristy would have wanted them with her only.

I knew David Ragsdale as a co-worker in the past. I am shocked and disgusted to find out that he had this side to him. All of my prayers are for the remaining family members (both Kristy's and Dave's), and I am glad that no one else was injured or killed in this horrible tragedy.

• yes, poor writing
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:36 p.m.

I agree--I had to go back and read it again. Were they or were they not present at the time of the shooting?

• RE:Tomas
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:32 p.m.

ooooo- speechless and such a lack of understanding and brain power. Mr. Ragsdale is responsible for his actions that led to murder - there is never a justification for premeditated murder.

• I'm Confused
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:26 p.m.

Part of this story doesn't make any sense. In one paragraph it says the Ragsdale's two young sons were walking about 20 to 30 feet away. In a subsequent paragraph, the story says they were in Draper at David Ragsdale's home at the time of the shooting.

• So Jordan guy
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:08 p.m.

Yes it is...it is a testamate of the world we live in today. There is no such thing as a safe place or "sure thing". It is one of the many reasons why I have chosen to protect my family by buying a gun and we have gotten the proper training on how to use it. That includes the children. We feel that it will only get worse before it gets better. We can only pray for guidance and strength and have faith in our testimonies.

• Always and Everywhere
    Jan. 7, 2008 4:04 p.m.

Carry always and everywhere.

Always.

Everywhere.

The only other option is to be a defenseless victim.

• SAD
    Jan. 7, 2008 3:22 p.m.

It's a sad day when you can't even go to church without fearing for your life. Two church shootings in a month's time period, this is just sad. First Colorado and now here. Is anyone safe?