Students left waiting for buses

• RE: KAREN
    Jan. 3, 2008 9:19 a.m.

The problem was the brakes on the buses, not the engine. Electric warmers for the brake lines... NOT!! Load the kids up and have the brakes fail...now your thinking. Communication is the problem but efforts are being made to improve this glitch. Sounds like to me no matter what the outcome you would be complaining...get a life!

• Karen Kelnhofer Eddy
    Jan. 3, 2008 2:09 a.m.

Apparently my comment did not get added. Here it is again:

I am appalled! The children needed transportation or at least warm shelter.

Instead they got blow torches and promises of communication with parents.

And worse: they were left in the cold.

1) Our public protectors, the police, should have been called to pick up these freezing children.

2) There are electric warmers for cars. I'm sure there are ones for buses too. They are common in northern states. Everyone who wants to drive in winter has them.

• Gina
    Jan. 2, 2008 11:02 p.m.

Well, I didnt walk 5 miles, it was more like 2 miles and sometimes my hair would be wet...it would freeze and I would pretend it was a sword and chase the boys as if I had a weapon in my hands ...freezing weather is tough but hey...kids are tough and resilient....

• something good coming
    Jan. 2, 2008 8:35 p.m.

well at least there is a good thing that will come from this. one of those children that got frost bite this morning will go to school and figure out a simple and effective way of disrtic school bus operations one day.

• Abe
    Jan. 2, 2008 7:56 p.m.

When I was a child, we used to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, regardless of the ice, snow, sleet, rain or cold.

• rt
    Jan. 2, 2008 6:57 p.m.

I feel for the children I personally know what it is like to be waiting in the early morning hours when it is the coldest time. I hardly doubt the district did their best because if that were true something unexpected like this could've been prevented, but then again I'm no mechanic. In weather like this things on vehicles are expected to freeze, and break.

• DS
    Jan. 2, 2008 6:33 p.m.

THERE'S TIMES WHEN WE SHOULD THINK OF THE CHILDREN FIRST SCHOOL SHOULD HAVE BEEN CANCELED BRAKES THAT CAN'T STOP ON ICE IS VERY FRIGHTING

• gramz57
    Jan. 2, 2008 5:22 p.m.

I drove the school bus for 17 years in Texas. I know it is frustrating when buses do not run on schedule, but we have had blue northers come through Texas that have shut down buses for similar reasons. It is much better that this happens before the kids get on the buses than after they are loaded. Better not to run at all than to push it and have disasters.

• gm
    Jan. 2, 2008 5:14 p.m.

The number to the transportation office is very useful... especially when there's NOBODY in the office!!

• Mallory
    Jan. 2, 2008 5:12 p.m.

I think the district tried their best to get a hold of the parents! Trying to put your self in that situation just makes me appreciate the organized way they took handle on this situation. it would be nice to have tha problem fixed but we should all just appreciate the job they are doing getting our kids to school without mother natures interference.