Too many phone books

• l
    Dec. 12, 2007 2:51 p.m.

I'd modify that request slightly to say "no more phonebooks without coupons." I don't know or care about the phonebooks in salt lake...but we maybe 4 of them in Logan. There's one that doesn't have any coupons, and I immediately recycle it. Among the other 3, I get all the info I need, including coupons.

• Earl
    Dec. 12, 2007 11:24 a.m.

You'd be surprised, AnotherThought. People expect legislators to do all kinds of stupid things to save ourselves from ourselves. I made my comment because I thought the letter was a waste of perfectly good space in the newspaper. It would have been just as useful for her to shout her frustration out the window and be done with it. Letters to the editor are usually written for purposes other than just expressing frustration.

• AnotherThought
    Dec. 12, 2007 10:30 a.m.

It would seem Earl doesn't credit others with his own awareness about the ineffectiveness of reader comments. The author's state purpose was to express a frustration; no indication was made that the world is expected to be different as a result. Lighten up, folks! We're not as dumb as you seem to think, nor as oblivious to reality.

• Amen
    Dec. 12, 2007 10:14 a.m.

Agreed

• Earl
    Dec. 12, 2007 9:12 a.m.

This letter is the equivalent of sticking one's head out the window and shouting, "No more phone books!" and equally as effective. The publishing companies wouldn't produce them if they weren't making money from them. Advertisers wouldn't pay for space in them if they didn't believe customers responded to them. So this whole thing is driven by consumers, not publishers or advertisers. Maybe the writer wants another law enacted to prohibit "too many" phone books from being published, is that it? No legislature has yet been able to repeal or counteract the laws of supply and demand. Shout out the window all you want, but whenever there's a demand for a service or product, someone will supply it.

• tim
    Dec. 12, 2007 5:59 a.m.

I totally agree. In st. George, there are at least 3 phone books. There should only be perhaps 2 companies, so there is a healthy competition. As a side note, I delivered phone books one year, and it was good physical work, but really bad pay. I would only reccomend it to parents who want their kids to learn work ethic, not for trying to make money