Woman shows burglar in house who's boss

• blondi
    Nov. 6, 2007 10:22 a.m.

Mr. Obvious, you said this boy was innocent and should be let go since he didn't take anything. If you read the article it did say, that he was drinking HER alcohol and took some of HER jewlrey. NOT HIS! That is stealing. What is innocent about breaking and entering, and rummaging through someone else's belongings?

• JT
    Nov. 5, 2007 8:48 a.m.

I know Jenn and she is amazing! She is so full of spunk and energy, and it doesn't surprise me that she did this! Good for you Jenn! Keep it up! I need to take self defense from you!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 3, 2007 2:06 p.m.

One American still realizes that our freedom isn't and hasn't ever been free. We get the world we are willing to accept.

• JWK
    Nov. 3, 2007 12:12 p.m.

Mr Obvious, I hope you are being sarcastic because if you aren't then you evidently don't understand the social crisis that is upon us. Crime is increasing because people like Jennifer don't stand up for themselves.

As I read the entire post, I can see that Mr. Obvious is not being sarcastic. He is part of the problem. Mr Obvious would probably say it is okay for a school to hand out birth control without telling the parents.

If children don't learn their social responsibilities at home then they will learn from the school of hard knocks. This is such a case. If he has been in trouble before, he may be judged to be an adult in this case. If not, then he will have a chance to have his record sealed and will not be adversely affected, unless he doesn't learn from this experience.

• Tired on SLC
    Nov. 3, 2007 11:27 a.m.

Mr. Obvious doesn't get it. What is so innocent about a 17 year old boy who smokes, is expelled from school and violates another's property? If the kid is "troubled", haul his parents in too. Make them take parenting classes while the boy does his time in juvie.

• Mr. Obvious
    Nov. 3, 2007 9:15 a.m.

Why would she even consider doing this action to an innocent young man, who had just made a mistake? As long as he didn't take anything, why not just let him go and consider herself lucky? This boy is just 17, and now her actions will cause him to have a rough start to adult life. The people calling for him to be tried as an adult are the typical judgemental Utah folk, who want to crucify the people who are not like themselves. He had just gotten expelled from school, and is obviously having life issues. He is the real victim in this story, and Jennifer is lucky that the title to this article was not something like " Local woman in critical condition after idiotic attempt to stop burglar".

• Oh Craig
    Nov. 3, 2007 8:55 a.m.

give it a break something your not use to unless it's a person in your ward or stake. Justice is something that we all must face someday, so don't just put em all away as they might stay.

• jennys fan club
    Nov. 3, 2007 1:10 a.m.

Right on Jen.
    and bless your heart for not breaking his arm. where mercy is shown so it will be given. The pile driver and "juvey" will be fine. To the person who said he needs "hard time" and try him as an adult. You need help. He would only turn hard and learn how to do crimes like an adult. this was a foolish kid thing he did and he should be punished like a foolish kid. Jenny you are a great example are you single? (I like a strong woman who knows how to hold (on to) her liquor)

• jennifer hogan
    Nov. 3, 2007 1:00 a.m.

Here is what I am proposing. Let's start a domino affect. If you are reading thing, start a neighborhood watche, get to know the law enforcement in your area to help them, make a call to the police if there is something suspicious. If it becomes known, street by street, town by town across this nation that crime will not go unnoticed then maybe we can detour the criminals.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Nov. 3, 2007 1:00 a.m.

We have become so engrossed in political correctness, finding blame for why situations occur or why people behave as they do. I feel this is due to the fact that a large majority of people have become to "busy" to really pay attention to those around them that they are not related to, work with or in cases have community ties to. I am guilty, I can't say I know all my neighbors, but I try to.

What I know is this; We have to start caring again. We need to start telling kids no, there needs to be punishment for bad behavior, and there needs to be acountability. We cannot leave this to schools, prisons, or any other institutions. We cannot blame the media: it can be turned it off. We cannot blame the "today's culture": We created it and we have to live in it. We are allowing society to degrade to a point were it is going to be unrecoverable.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Nov. 3, 2007 12:57 a.m.

Thank you all for your kind words. Never did I expect that one, what I consider small, act would become such a large social topic.

While I acknowledge that what I did could have had a very different ending and was potentially dangerous, there is a moment where reaction just kicked in. Many times I have thought while watching the news about stories like this what I would do. I got my answer. I do know what my limits are.

I would like everyone to know is that, while this may have looked reckless, I made a decision long ago that if my life would benifit the greater good then that is it. This country was founded on the principal of giving one's life for what we believe in. In this day and age seldom are we seeing normal everyday people taking a stand against what is going on with our streets, our cities and nations.

• Abish
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:26 p.m.

I'm glad Jennifer wasn't hurt. I'm sad the 17 y/o thought he had the right to invade someone's home. Prison will be hard enough on him...he'll be prosecuted right?

• C in CA
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:14 p.m.

Just as "Lawsuit isn't likely" has said. The guy broke into her home. He was lucky she didn't break anything. She did the right thing. And she kept her cool. Highly, Highly unlikely they will file a lawsuit. If they do...it will get thrown out. He broke the law, she didn't.

Again...way to go!!!! And so glad you are safe.

• Mama Bear
    Nov. 2, 2007 5:53 p.m.

Way to go Jennifer! Your instincts have served you well. Always be physically ready for a fight, but avoid danger when you can. If you have to fight, defend yourself fiercely. Attacker beware!

• Workinglate
    Nov. 2, 2007 4:28 p.m.

to Devil's Advocate: That kid got what he deserved, not necessarily what he needs - what that kid deserved by breaking in to the house was a good smack down - and that's what he got. If he needs emotional help, he needs to get it from somewhere other than someone else's house. Props to this woman for defending herself and her home / property.

• Andino
    Nov. 2, 2007 3:34 p.m.

Thank goodness she didn't pull out a handgun, otherwise this story wouldn't have been printed.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 3:01 p.m.

I would have done the same thing. However, he got off too easy. I would have made him hurt. WAY TO GO JENNIFER!!!
    Connie

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 2:42 p.m.

It is better not to confront a criminal always has been and always will be the police's official stance on these types of situations. If they say anything else, and then someone gets hurt, the police get sued. But I am sure they love situations like this when the creep gets what he deserves and everyone else is safe.

• Lawsuit isn't likely
    Nov. 2, 2007 1:48 p.m.

For those concerned about the boy's family suing her for damages, it's not likely under Utah law.

Utah's version of the "Make my Day" law states that homeowners who use reasonable force, including deadly force, to defend themselves from home invaders are automatically protected from both civil and criminal liability.

• Ron
    Nov. 2, 2007 1:46 p.m.

You didn't read my comment carefully.

If the guy was big or on drugs, what makes you think he couldn't has surprised and over powered her?

I'm all for fighting back, when it makes sense.
    Even when you carry a concealed weapon, you are still taught to get away when you can unless your life is in danger.

I tell my wife and daughters to fight back but if you have a choice get away and don't confront anyone. If you walk into your house and you suspect danger, get out. If you can't get away then fight back with everything you have.

I'm happy it turned out well but she was lucky

• Devil's Advocate
    Nov. 2, 2007 1:30 p.m.

Who knows what kind of emotional/psychological trauma the kid is going through. Maybe he needs more help than punishment. My guess is he needs both.

Also, he could have had a weapon. Glad Jennifer is safe.

• Wayne
    Nov. 2, 2007 1:18 p.m.

I'm now waiting for this boy's family to sue the victum since she probable messed up his throwing shoulder and risked his chances of getting a scholarship to play ball comewhere.

Awesome job and I might of even slipped and accidently dislocate his shoulder during the fight.

• Laurie
    Nov. 2, 2007 11:37 a.m.

You go girl! Now will the judicial system appropriately punish this young thief or will they slap him on the wrist and let him go? I'd of had a hard time not kicking his butt by the time the police showed up. You deserve a metal girlfriend for protecting your family and the items you've worked so hard for. Thank God that HE protected you throughout this entire nightmare.

• Rose
    Nov. 2, 2007 11:13 a.m.

Way to go girl? Reading the article, I wonder if you were drunk? He could have killed you.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 11:11 a.m.

What a great story! Kudos to Jennifer, that is a scary situation and I'm glad she didn't get hurt and this young punk will hopefully get what's coming to him.

• Mary A.
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:32 a.m.

Jennifer Have you thought about teaching a self-defense class? My daughters and I would be the first to sign up!

• Re: Ron
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:21 a.m.

Rolling over for criminals is a selfish move. It may benefit you individually, but it is hurting society as a whole. Police can't respond quickly enough to most situations, and when they do, things often escalate way too fast and turn into even more dangerous and destructive situations.

I'm sure if Jennifer had seen a 250-lb man rather than the kid, she would have booked it out of her house and gotten to a safe location.

My point is, you shouldn't automatically believe that the best course of action is to let the criminal get away.

• Police?
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:13 a.m.

The SL county police recently issued a statement saying that it's not a good idea to fight criminals and that normally you should just give them whatever they want. This story is yet another case (about the 5th in the last 2 weeks) of potential victims making life difficult for criminals, and I think most people can see that the method works well. Why let the creep get away so he can victimize and traumatize someone else?

I agree with whomever said she should have broken his arm. The way the court system works and the prison overcrowding in our state, there's a good chance he'll be out and about in no time. Plus, she would have been covered under the "castle doctrine" laws or whatever they're called.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:07 a.m.

Are you busy Saturdays? Notre Dame could use some help! That punk should really be embarrassed. Put his sorry picture in the paper so everyone can see the loser!

• Thank goodness...
    Nov. 2, 2007 10:00 a.m.

the end result turned out safely....

• Ron
    Nov. 2, 2007 9:48 a.m.

I like catching the kid as much as the next person but in this case the smarter move would have been to leave house and all for help as soon as she smelled the smoke.

What if the the kid would have turned out to be a 250 lb pound guy on crack? and maybe with a gun?

• washcomom
    Nov. 2, 2007 9:40 a.m.

The NFL will be calling to find out about that tackle!! Jennifer - You were lucky as it was a teenage thief, but please be safe! You never know who else could be lurking around the next basement window. As for the kid, there is something to be learned here. Breaking and entering, stealing someone else's property will not fix your problem. YOU need to fix it and fix it properly. Own up and be a man. Do the next right thing. Good Luck!

• WBM5
    Nov. 2, 2007 9:35 a.m.

I like Jennifer!!!! I think she and I could be friends!!!! someone tried to steal my purse once and I didn't let them get away with it. I then yelled at them they were stupid because I had a car and they laughed at me. I jumped in it and gunned the engine. Those boys took off running as I zoomed across the parking lot towards them when I floored it. Unfortunately they got away into the projects. which I wasn't afraid to drive through. a couple of weeks later they got caught and I helped id them. I didn't regret giving them what they deserved.... oh I could have run into them with my car, I had the chance but I knew I would have been arrested so I choose to just scary them to death! WOO HOO!

• Girl
    Nov. 2, 2007 9:33 a.m.

I'm thrilled that she did what she did so take this next comment as I mean it. I laughed at the pile-driver comment. Isn't that WWF not NFL (not saying football players wouldn't try to get away with it).

• John
    Nov. 2, 2007 9:21 a.m.

Well done, Jennifer! Maybe if other "wanna-be" criminals hear about this, they will think twice about getting what that kid got.

• Bill in LV
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:42 a.m.

Beware, he might sue you for assault. I know it sounds ridiculous but it has happened before, and the crook has won!

• WW
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:35 a.m.

You're my HERO! You should start you own self defense classes, I'd send my daughters! The only thing....you should of broke the little creeps arm! It would of gave him something to think about in jail!

• WYO Reader
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:33 a.m.

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! I always pray that I will have the insight and the guts to do just what you did in a similar situation! Wow! Karen you said it best! YOU GO, girlfriend!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:06 a.m.

Hogan said she comes from a small town but also talks about being an angry irish woman from Boston. Last time I checked, Boston wasn't so small.

• lexy
    Nov. 2, 2007 8:00 a.m.

wow woman you are brave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• R.L.
    Nov. 2, 2007 7:36 a.m.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!

• Karen
    Nov. 2, 2007 7:13 a.m.

YOU GO, girlfriend!

• Big Idea
    Nov. 2, 2007 6:24 a.m.

This is what we need more of. People taking responsibility for problems and fixing them.

• Harold
    Nov. 2, 2007 5:50 a.m.

Good for you, I hope the punk learned a lesson!

• SLC Cop
    Nov. 2, 2007 3:28 a.m.

We need more people like you. Great job!

• Craig
    Nov. 2, 2007 2:19 a.m.

Try him as an adult with hard time. Maybe the cycle can be broken.

• C from CA
    Nov. 2, 2007 12:32 a.m.

Good for you. Glad you are safe.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 2, 2007 12:26 a.m.

Hilarious ending to a scary and dangerous situation! Good for you, Jennifer--glad it turned out so well!