Radio dial: Clear Channel ousts 2 KOSY disc jockeys

• Salty
    June 16, 2008 12:16 p.m.

Everyone in my office used to listen to (Scot -- with one "t" -- and Kelly) and Erica every morning. Erica had chemistry with her co-hosts, and now that they are gone, so is my great mornings with KOSY. Even more than that she had chemistry with her audience. I miss her every morning, and I miss the performances at the Grand Theater. But fear not, Patsy is going to be back this September, and it's going to be a long summer waiting for her amazing performance again. You can find her in the Deseret News, writing a theater column (also desnews.com -- keyword erica hansen). Clear Channel are a bunch of jerks to think they could raise their ratings without Erica. We need her back on the radio. And Erica, here's some e-hugs to tide ya over until the real thing at the Grand Theater this fall (my wife understands!). I can't wait !!! Erica IS Patsy! ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

• Madison
    June 13, 2008 3:47 p.m.

Several months later, and I still miss Erica on Saturday nights. The show is not what it used to be. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot stand Laura and her stories, plus there seems to be more commericals than I ever remember. Oh well, at least I've luckily found some really good online radio stations that play lots of great broadway songs and musicals with few commercials. The best part - no stupid stories!

• Emma
    Oct. 27, 2007 11:48 p.m.

Has anyone noticed how incredibly rude Laura is? Once again I listened to the show, because I love showtunes, but tonight's programming had her commenting on past acquaintances and their mishaps on the stage as if their personal embarrasing moments were the greatest comedy of the world. So wrong! Why can't we get Erica back? She was enthusiastic, knowledgable, entertaining, and much easier to listen to. I have to switch stations whenever Laura comes on to comment, and sometimes I just can't bring myself to turn it back. This was the best programming idea on the radio, but it's just lost all of it's charm. Let me know if Erica ends up on FM 100....because I'm so there if she does.

• Sara
    Oct. 16, 2007 10:12 a.m.

Well...the reason you don't like showtunes is the new DJ. I'm sorry. I hope I send a wake up call to the new girl. Who uses "veritable deluge.." to describe crying? I physically gag on her commentary. I enjoyed saturday nights. I even planned so I could listen. I wrote to KOSY and they told me to give Laura a chance. I did. I listened a few weeks and was bored. Laura just says weird stuff, uses strange language and pretends to be a friend of Erica's which she is not. She's a fake. I have not listened for weeks now. Erica made me laugh. She intrigued me about the new music and introduced me to tons of fun new music. I like my ipod. I filled it with showtune music and broadcast my own show for my listening pleasure. I don't want KOSY anymore.

• Joyce
    Oct. 15, 2007 10:19 p.m.

does anybody have the web address to erica's blog

• Shaun
    Oct. 5, 2007 6:24 p.m.

Yeah...it is too bad Clear channel blew out KOSY's morning show. You hate for anyone to lose their job. But, the truth is I don't really miss them anymore. I'm really digging FM100's morning team. Brian and Rebecca are probably the best morning team I've heard in Salt Lake in years. Maybe Erica can bring her Show Tunes to FM100 Sat nites.

• Stella
    Oct. 4, 2007 11:55 a.m.

I cannot beleive that Clear Channel did this to us again!! First Scott, now Erica! BIG MISTAKE on your part and then Dicky and Angel Shannon! What is wrong with you people, do you want your ratings to go away completely? These two mornings shows made the commute to work bearable, not to mention fun to listen to. I loved Erica and did get used to Kelly but still missed Scott. I guess some other station that has some people with brains running the show will pick them up and I guess I will just have to switch stations. I used to just tune in for the Christmas music but kept on listening because of Scott and Erica in the morning. Now there is no reason to keep listening is there? I can just play my own Christmas CD's and not bother with any of your stations. You will regret this decision, I am sure.

• Locomoreno
    Sept. 26, 2007 4:41 p.m.

I was upset as well that Erica was removed from the air. Erica exhibits a passion and congeniality for her work that very few DJ's do. I immensely enjoyed her Showtunes Saturday Night program. I hope that she surfaces on another station in the valley so she can continue to share her talents.

• shel
    Sept. 22, 2007 10:33 p.m.

Whaaat? I thought maybe Erica was off on one of her broadway jaunts, but come to find out she has been sacked? Get real! Saturday nights were the only time I listened to KOSY, and no offense to the new girl, but she just doesn't have the same knowledge base as those of us that are passionate about showtunes. Admit you made a mistake, and BRING HER BACK!!!!

• Jay
    Sept. 22, 2007 8:31 p.m.

I am REALLY sad that Erica is no more on Showtunes. I was so excited 5 years ago when I found Showtunes Saturday Night--and have listened fairly faithfully for that whole time. I absolutely adored her enthusiasm for Broadway and her desire to share that with us. PLEASE BRING ERICA BACK! *sniff* I even continued my fetish for Showtunes Saturday Night when I moved to New York for grad school (by tuning in on the Internet) but now it just isn't the same.

• average listener
    Sept. 17, 2007 10:04 a.m.

KOSY sounds terrible. No Kelly & Erica, no Erica on Showtunes. The music has changed, the station's signal is all distorted. Yuck! The person in charge should be ashamed. I've now gone to FM 100 and The End.

• Erica's friend
    Sept. 17, 2007 8:31 a.m.

I've tried posting a link to Erica's blog but I think I keep getting flagged as spam because it won't post. But if you type in the words ericahansen and blogspot and com and put a few dots inbetween, I'm sure you'll find it,

• Bob "Pickering"
    Sept. 15, 2007 9:59 p.m.

"Oh Blast Higgins....I'll miss her" I leave town for a few weeks and the first Saturday back, I tune in Showtunes Saturday Night and she was gone.... Left without a word. I WAS DASHED! I called Scotland Yard (Google)and with there help I've gotten several lead including a blog site. It seems that our little "Eliza" had been sacked by those dastardly cowards. Well may their ratings sink like the Titanic. At least we know that you will not go down with that sinking ship. You're a Lady now and you can stand on your own two feet. You don't need them nearly as much as they will find they needed you. Because all of us have grown accustomed to your face (and voice) and you'll be back somewhere where your talent will be appreciated. Just you wait KOSY. Just you wait!

• K.E.
    Sept. 15, 2007 11:22 a.m.

To Erica's friend please post the web site or which blog to find info on Erica. Thanks

• karen
    Sept. 15, 2007 10:43 a.m.

I have listened to kosy for quite awhile and was very upset at the change to the morning line up.I take my music and radio listening very serious as I love all kinds of music. So now I am again in search of another station to listen to during my work day. I hope all is well with Erica and Kelly,I found Scott on 98.7 but it's not the same as it was with Scott and Erica. I really wish that these people that decide to change things in peoples lives would get comments from real people that listen to the radio rather than rid us from things we enjoy and then to top it off not even say anything about it or what happened or why. A answer once in awhile would be nice.

• Terri
    Sept. 14, 2007 2:22 p.m.

I miss Erica very much. I spoke with her at Capital Theater one night very soon to her dissapearance fron KOSY, my daughter thought I wasn't annoying to do so but I wanted her to know how much I enjoyed listening to her on the radio, and how I shared her love of the theater, I have switched to FM 100. I will be watching for her to return and any productions she might be in after the baby arrives. If you see this Erica, I miss you.

• Allison
    Sept. 13, 2007 10:36 p.m.

Showtunes Saturday Night is just not the same. Erica was Showatunes Saturday Night (although the music was good too:)). I can't even listen to the DJ they have now for the show. Such a monotone voice. Thanks for ruining my Saturday night KOSY. Once Erica has a new job and begins to compete with you for Showtunes Saturday Night #1 show expect all of your listeners to leave you and follow their leader.

• Patty
    Sept. 12, 2007 7:22 p.m.

Patty | 9:51 a.m. Sept. 12, 2007
    My two favorite stations for a very long time have been KOSY and KODJ. But I am fiercly loyal to my DJ's. When they let Scott go I thought maybe there was information I might not be aware of. But now they have taken Erica and the Shannon's off the air for no apparent reason. I will not support a radio station who is not loyal to their employees. These are people with lives and bills to pay. They are not pons on a chess board that you can just feel free to push around. Erica is the best DJ I have seen and/or heard. I had warmed up to Kelly (I am grateful that he does have a job). I really enjoyed Scott (especially his contageous laugh). Dicky and Angel are so very good too. I hope I can find where they are all working because I will follow them. I wonder how many listeners have been lost through this cruel twist. It is like clear channel is trying to cut the nose off of their own face. I also wonder if Erica was let go because they didn't want to deal with her taking a maternity break? They would never admit to that because then they would be in a position to be sued. But it definitely makes one wonder doesn't it?????

• Disappointed
    Sept. 12, 2007 8:16 a.m.

Used to listen to KOSY all the time (morning and Sat. evening). With Erica gone, I've switched my bedside and car radios to other stations. No real reason to listen KOSY any more. I think you've alienated your primary demographic. Too bad.

• Don
    Sept. 12, 2007 7:33 a.m.

I have not listened much to KOZY since Kelly was ousted and now that Erica is gone I doubt I will listen much anymore. She is refreshing, upbeat and fun. I will miss her trivia and her "huh" things that really work.

• Erica's friend
    Sept. 10, 2007 9:26 a.m.

If you haven't heard, Erica's blog is up and running again. It's easy to find with a google search. The fabulous Ms. Hansen continues to share her passion for musical theater. And with the due date quickly approaching, you can keep a watch on the stork and all things involving mini-E.

• Bryce
    Sept. 8, 2007 10:08 p.m.

PLEASE give us back Erica on Saturday nights! We had to switch it off tonight, it's just not the same without her. She brought so much energy and excitement to the show. We're calling the show "So sad Saturday Nights."

• Barry Swensen
    Sept. 8, 2007 6:56 p.m.

I commend Erica for staying home with her baby.

• Amy
    Sept. 8, 2007 6:21 p.m.

I agree with all that's been said about missing Erica on Showtunes Saturday Night. We really miss her! No offence to the new girl but it might be better to just play showtunes and not have any commentary about them. So far, it hasn't been very good. Hopefully we will hear about what Erica is up to and about the baby. Do a blog, Erica!

• Karen
    Sept. 7, 2007 2:34 p.m.

I was really sad when the Scott and Erica team was split, but soon came to appreciate Kelly and Erica, but now what? I think I will just tune in to FM100, and if Erica reads this, somehow she has to let everyone know where she is and all about the baby. Youa cheered up our mornings and made bad days seem bearable.

• James
    Sept. 7, 2007 10:48 a.m.

All KOSY did in the morning was yap, yap, yap, yap.
    Erica did a good job with Showtunes because she was by herself and she has a passion for the music. Kelly Monson is much better on The Breeze because he doesn't have to fight to talk over Erica and can be pleasent without having to worry about her self-indulgent, boring yap, yap, yap, yap. Look for Erica to lobby putting Showtunes on another station, perhaps FM 100 or B98.7 KOSY's only good ratings came from Delilah, Sounds of the Sabbath and Showtunes...what does that tell you? But don't worry folks, KOSY will put on a new morning show that yaps and yaps and yaps and yaps....

• Barry Swensen
    Sept. 7, 2007 8:53 a.m.

Good start on firing boring DJ's. Now let's get real and get rid of all of those ridiculous commercials.

I realize that this is how the money is made, but when I can spend 45 minutes in the morning showering and getting ready for work not hearing a single song something is wrong. I originally started listening in the 70's for something I remember as music.

Everyone should follow me to 89.7 FM. K-LOVE does not play commercials and christian rock is as easy to get used to as anything else.

• Valerie
    Sept. 5, 2007 10:52 p.m.

I'm missing Erica every Sat nite. Her enthusiam for showtunes was infectious. Her knowledge about Broadway and film music was so much fun. I was a regular listener. Now that she's gone, it's not much fun any more. I quit listening. I have also changed my morning listening. Kosy was the #1 station in my home, but sad to say, it's been replaced. I really miss Scott and Erica in the morning. They gave me such a cherry "good morning", that I knew I would have a wonderful day. Erica, hope you reads these posts. I miss you! Thanks for all the wonderful Sat nights sitting in the front row of a broadway production or in the midst of a film musical. Good luck to you and hope someone picks you up soon. You are missed

• Eileen
    Sept. 2, 2007 12:00 a.m.

I love Erica Hansen! I hope she gets to read this. I told my husband that our date night had to be Friday, because my Saturday nights were already taken by Show Tunes Saturday Night. I thought Erica did such a wonderful job! She was like a personal friend on the radio and she answered my emails to her! Who has that kind of dedication? My personal show tune library has tripled due to her and her show! Clear Channel your mistake is thinking that getting rid of her will help. It will not, look for your problems elsewhere. One more piece of advice... now that Erica is gone, getting rid of the show tunes show IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! Doing that will kill all of whatever it is you have left.

• Barney
    Sept. 1, 2007 10:29 p.m.

Wow. Our entire family is devastated. We know that there are many more important things in the world to be concerned about, so don't waste your time giving me a lecture. But we loved Erica Hansen, both waking up to her in the morning and on Showtunes Saturday Night, and we will miss her dearly. She is so pleasant to listen to, and her love and knowledge of musical theater enriched our lives. We even took three of our sons to New York for our main vacation this summer, and saw Broadway shows together, based on Erica's recommendations. It would truly seem that the powers that be at Clear Channel are determined to destroy what used to be our family's (including our four married children and our teenagers at home!) two favorite family-friendly stations (KOSY and KODJ). Should you ever read this, Erica, know that you are loved and that our thoughts and prayers go with you.

• Mel
    Sept. 1, 2007 9:10 p.m.

I'm a bit behind the times. No offense to Laura, but I really miss Erica Hansen as the DJ for Showtunes Saturday Night. I agree that Erica communicated her enthusiasm for music, and I definitely miss that. I don't listen as long on Saturdays, and I don't know how long I will continue to listen. I prefer FM 100, and I mostly kept KOSY for Showtunes.

• Coleen
    Aug. 31, 2007 1:27 p.m.

BAD FORM!!! With Erica gone, I've switched to FM100. You nixed the KODJ Married in the Morning" team, now you let Erica go. They were looking for a house and going to have a new baby!!! SHEESH !! I will miss the Saturday night show tunes, and I will miss her wonderful voice in the morning. BOO Clear Channel!

• Karen
    Aug. 30, 2007 1:57 p.m.

I just loved Scott and Erica in the morning and was saddened when Scott left. Now Erica is gone too and I will switch radio stations. Erica was the only reason I listened to KOSY. I wonder if she will get a job at some other radio station. I hope so!

• LJH
    Aug. 29, 2007 2:39 p.m.

HOW DUMB CAN THEY Be ? First they split up the best team on the air Scott and Erica and I still mourn that now Erica too? What are they thinking? Stupidity. Don't think the audience can just get used to someone other DJ. Quit messing with our emotions it's the whole reason we listen to radio money grubbers!

• Larry
    Aug. 28, 2007 12:35 p.m.

Amen Lynn!

Clear Channel doesn't deserve to operate stations on the public airwaves. They should sell the stations to someone else and get out of the business.

• Jim P.
    Aug. 27, 2007 9:59 p.m.

Erica is not only talented but beautiful and can she sing! Her performance in Always Patsy Cline made me want to go home and burn all my Patsy CDs. I night have if I could have had one of Erica singing Patsy.

• Jim
    Aug. 27, 2007 11:53 a.m.

Erica Hansen is a treasure and she was fabulous on Showtune Saturday Nights! No one will be able to take her place. You could hear in her voice the joy she feels when talking about musical theater! The tidbits of info she shared about Broadway and the stars was very entertaining. She will be greatly missed. Not a good move, KOSY.

• Kim
    Aug. 26, 2007 4:41 p.m.

Too bad about Erica Hansen. I'll miss her on Saturday nights.

• David
    Aug. 26, 2007 8:40 a.m.

Just a minor correction: the frequency for KDYL-AM is 1060, not 1280 as noted in this week's column. 1280 has been home to "The Zone" sports radio for several years now.

• Mike
    Aug. 25, 2007 8:41 a.m.

Too bad about Barberi and I agree that Clear Channel is only content with mediocrity at best. There's only a few stations out there actively trying to attract a solid listener basis.

I'm glad Nightside is doing well. For Kevin, give it a shot. It's far from Hannity. I'm not a big Hannity fan, but Karchner and crew are different and innovative.

• kevin
    Aug. 24, 2007 11:07 p.m.

The Best thing that KSL could do to get me to come back to them would be to get rid of Sean Hannity he is rude and condesending and I can not stomach him

• The Rodfather
    Aug. 24, 2007 8:23 p.m.

KOSY is no match for FM 100. The new team of Brian and Rebecca in the morning in sweet. The gang at FM 100 is one of Salt Lake City's best. KOSY is changing because it simply cannot compete with the big guys.....

• Tcabin
    Aug. 24, 2007 8:19 p.m.

The recent changes at Clear Channel just show how inept they are at providing any local programming. I summer in Montana, and Clear Channel owned Missoula stations sound just like the ones here in SLC. That would be ok if the stations would sound a little local. In Missoula it is impossible to get a local newscast or accurate weather forecast after 8:00AM, on their AM stations, and I'm sure it is the same here in SLC.
    This situation will only change when people stop listening to Clear Channel stations, and start listening to locally owned stations like KSL,KLO, KSOP and KBZN.

• CB
    Aug. 24, 2007 12:26 p.m.

I stopped listening to KOSY when Erica came on board. She talks over her co-hosts and too often interjects personal information about herself. No loss for KOSY. And glad to hear Kelly Monsen's back - a smooth DJ for a "Smooth Jazz" station.

• Julie
    Aug. 24, 2007 10:44 a.m.

I am upset at Erica Hansen's dismissal at Kosy. Like the article says, she was truly on of the best DJs out there. I'll miss her show tune Saturday Night show.