Colonel's landmark KFC is mashed

• Starpacker Chewelah, , WA
    Oct. 26, 2014 2:48 p.m.

When I was young, my mother applied for a job as a waitress at Harman's Cafe on 21st South. She got the job, and worked her way up to hostess, and manager, and then store manager. During her tenure @ Harman's, She was moved around as the business progressed. She "Opened" a lot of different locations. Sometimes, while she worked, my sisters, brother & I, used to help out.My brother Gary became a Cook for a while.My oldest sister Marie dated John Gutke, and my middle sister dated Billy Gutke.Mom also managed the House of Pancakes out on State Street in Murray.I was washing dishes on "North Temple" when I joined the Marines in 1963. I remember Pete Taking my family to a function at the Fair Grounds, and Col. Sanders paid for the whole family. Pete, later offered a franchise to my parents in California, but they didn't want to move to California, besides, my dad said he didn't want to have to work 7 day's a week! Pete alway's treated my mom (chris Davis) with respect. We (kids) really liked him alot!

• Jay
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Get a grip, Kerry.

• Kerry
    Oct. 25, 2009 2:23 p.m.

Hey here we have Republicans in action. Tear down the old to build new at any cost. We do not need history, just money. Look at what the LDS church has done (90% republican). Tore down Deseret Gymn to guild the monstrosity. Soon enough the tabernacle will become redundant and they will find something else to build there too. There is no profit in memories and that is the bottom line of any Republican folks.

• Anonymous
    May 9, 2009 9:11 p.m.

This is Utah were little has been saved. KFC is a great example of what large corporations do to a once great product.

• SithFan
    May 9, 2009 9:08 p.m.

I used to work at a Fire Station just a little north west of the restaurant and used to frequent the place for several buckets of chicken. Lots of fond memories. I look forward to seeing the upgrade buildings one of these day when I come to Utah next ski season.

• Richard Hardy
    May 9, 2009 8:42 p.m.

At the original Pete Harman's KFC [39th So. State St., So. Salt Lake] in 1953 and '54, I remember not only what a treat it was to eat there, but teasing the girls by peering through the plastic foliage atop the booth dividers was [sometimes] a little too much fun. We could not have known what a part of pop-culture iconography the institution would become.
    After being in San Diego County for forty years and returning to Utah, it was heartbreaking to see such a melancholy end to this source of priceless memories.

• dennis seese
    April 22, 2009 9:00 p.m.

in fremont, ca and newark, ca, the kfc's original recipe chicken does not have the original 13 herbs and spices since the flavor is bland. i'll go to boston market from now on since what i liked at kfc is not there any more. 3 kfc's have let me down.

• Ed Banfield
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:36 p.m.

Enjoyed reading about Pete Harmon. I worked for Pete 38 years ago in northern Calif.Probably the best experience of my life. Loved working with all those people from the Salt Lake area. My store was between the San Francisco air port and Harmons headquartwers in Los Altos.When ever the Col. came visiting he would stop at our store and check out our fried chicken,cooked in the automatic cooker that cooked 5 trays at a time. His comment was always the same. "Not as good as my pot chicken" Well all I can say after all these years is that Pete Harmon is one in a million. A very special person. I'll always treasure the opportunity he gave me in 1969.Thanks Pete! Ed Banfield Novato Ca. [email protected]