Ray Boren

The names of many Utah places, from Book of Mormon-based names like Lehi and Nephi to Native American names like Kanab and Panguitch, are frequently steeped in history and have stories behind them.

Here's a look at 26 Utah places and the faces — and stories — that go along with them.

Peter Skene Ogden: Ogden

According to historytogo.utah.gov, Peter Skene Ogden was born in 1794 and worked for the Hudson Bay Company as a trapper and mountain man. In April 1824, Ogden and a brigade of 131 people reached the Bear River, and Ogden then continued into Cache Valley.

"Records seem to indicate that Ogden himself did not enter the area of the present-day city which now bears his name, nor is it positively known if he even saw the Great Salt Lake at this time," the website states. "However, men of his brigade did return from their trapping with accounts of those areas, and it is quite possible that Ogden did observe them."

Clarence King: Kings Peak

The highest summit in Utah is Kings Peak, measuring in at 13,528 feet. The peak is named for Clarence King, an American geologist and mining engineer who was born in 1842 in Rhode Island. King organized and directed the U.S. Geological Survey of the 40th parallel, discovered Mount Whitney (the highest summit in the U.S.) and explored the deserts of California and Arizona, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica. King became the first director of the U.S. Geologic Survey in 1879.

Parley P. Pratt: Parleys Canyon

Parley P. Pratt was born in New York in 1802 and was baptized into the LDS Church in 1830. He became an apostle in the church, joined in the migration to Utah and became an explorer of the Utah territory.

According to Don Strack on the utahrails.net website, Parleys Canyon was originally named Big Canyon (or Kanyon). Pratt explored the canyon and into Park City, later reporting that there was land for timber, grazing, and quarrying in and around the canyon. He recommended building a road through the canyon and later did so, with the road that is now part of the I-80 freeway originally coming to life as a toll road constructed by Pratt.

Howard Stansbury: Stansbury Island

Howard Stansbury was born in New York City in 1806 and went on to become a civil engineer and a lieutenant — and later captain — in the U.S. Corps of Topographical Engineers. He spent 1849-1851 on the Great Salt Lake expedition and published an account of his work titled, "An Expedition to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake of Utah." The work included a description of the Great Salt Lake's geography, natural history and minerals, a water analysis and an account of a Mormon settlement, among other things. Multiple sites in Utah bear his name including Stansbury Island, the second largest island in the Great Salt Lake.

Capt. John W. Gunnison: Gunnison

According to the National Park Service, John W. Gunnison was born in 1812 in New Hampshire, attended West Point Military Academy, served in the military under future President Zachary Taylor and later transferred to the Corps of Topographical Engineers. Gunnison was part of Howard Stansbury's expedition to the Great Salt Lake and wrote a book titled, "The Mormons, or Latter-day Saints, in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake: A History of Their Rise and Progress, Peculiar Doctrines, Present Condition, and Prospects, Derived from Personal Observation During a Residence Among Them."

On an 1853 expedition, Gunnison traveled over the Rocky Mountains and into the (then) Grand River Valley, where the town of Gunnison is located today.

Lucy Van Cott: Mount Van Cott

Lucy May Van Cott served as the first Dean of Women at the University of Utah, holding the position from 1907 through 1931. According to John Van Cott in his book "Utah Place Names," University of Utah students honored Van Cott by naming a mountain northeast of the university after her — Mount Van Cott.

On April 28, 2014, Robert Jackson profiled Mount Van Cott in the KSL "Hike of the Week" series.

Robert Kennicott: Kennecott Utah Copper mine

Robert Kennicott was a naturalist from Illinois who began working with the Smithsonian Institution when the organization was only six years old. Kennicott traveled all over central British America for the Smithsonian, and in 1865, when he was only 30 years old, agreed to lead an expedition to the Yukon for the Western Union Telegraph. He died during that journey of what is thought to have been heart failure, according to an article on the Smithsonian website.

In 1906, the Kennecott Mines Company was founded in Alaska and named for Kennicott. The company gradually moved into Utah, acquiring all the property and assets of the Utah Copper Company by 1936, according to the uen.org website. Today the Rio Tinto Kennecott mine in Utah is the largest open pit copper mine in the world.

Benjamin Louis Eulalie de Bonneville: Lake Bonneville, Bonneville Salt Flats

Benjamin Bonneville immigrated to the United States from France with his family in 1803 when he was around seven years old, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica. He later graduated from West Point and began exploring the West in 1832. In his book, "Utah Place Names," John W. Van Cott wrote that geologist Grove Karl Gilbert named the ancient lake that used to cover a portion of Utah after Bonneville, and although Bonneville likely never saw the Bonneville Salt Flats, they still bear his name.

Author Washington Irving, known for "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle," wrote a book about Bonneville titled, "The Adventures of Captain Bonneville," and — according to Van Cott — pushed for Bonneville's name to be given to the Great Salt Lake.

Thomas L. Kane: Kane County

According to The Encyclopedia of Mormonism, Thomas L. Kane was born in Philadelphia in 1822. He was first introduced to the Mormons in 1846 and although not Mormon himself, devoted time and efforts to helping the LDS people throughout his life, including playing an important role in mediating during the Utah War and promoting statehood for the Utah territory.

Kane was known as "Friend of the Mormons" and was memorialized with a statue in the Utah State Capitol Building, unveiled in 1958.

Eli H. Murray: Murray city

Eli Murray was born in Kentucky in 1843, served as a brigadier general during the Civil War, earned a law degree, worked as a U.S. marshal and worked as a newspaper editor before President Rutherford B. Hayes named him as Utah's governor in 1880, according to historytogo.utah.gov.

Patrick Mason, who wrote the book "The Mormon Menace: Violence and Anti-Mormonism in the Postbellum South," wrote that once Murray was named governor, he "commenced a bitter anti-Mormon campaign that lasted throughout his six years as governor and spread beyond Utah's borders to influence national policy."

According to the Murray city website, Murray was named after Gov. Murray, but officially got its name after the post office changed its name from the South Cottonwood Post Office to the Murray Post Office in 1883.

Etienne Provost: Provo, Provo Canyon, Provo River

Etienne Provost, born in Quebec in 1785, led a company into the Great Basin in 1824, according to historytogo.utah.gov. He and his company were attacked by Shoshones, and all but Provost and a few others were killed. Despite the attack and later disputes over trapping rights between the Americans and British, Provost continued to explore the American West. When Mormon settlers moved into Utah, the website states, they were told that a stream that had generally been known as the Timpanogos was also called the "Provo," and in 1849, the city of Provo was established. Provost died in St. Louis in 1850.

Charles C. Rich: Rich County

Charles C. Rich was a Mormon pioneer, a territorial legislator, a member of the Nauvoo Legion during the Utah War and a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

According to the Rich County website, Brigham Young called Rich to lead an exploring party into the Bear Lake Valley in 1863. The goal of the party was to find a place for settlement. Although the area was originally part of the now-nonexistent Green River County, it became Richland County in 1864 and was shortened to Rich County in 1868.

President James A. Garfield: Garfield County

President James A. Garfield was sworn in as the 20th president of the United States in March 1881, shot by a disgruntled man in July 1881 and died in September 1881. Although his time as president was short, his name was given to Garfield County in 1882 at the suggestion of then-Gov. Eli H. Murray, according to pioneer.utah.gov.

John Wesley Powell: Lake Powell

Lake Powell, which was created through the building of the Glen Canyon Dam and started filling in 1963, is named after Civil War soldier and later explorer John Wesley Powell. From May 1869 through August 1869, Powell led nine men on an expedition down the Green and Colorado Rivers. A second expedition in 1871 helped with the creation of a map and scientific publications regarding the rivers and landscape.

George A. Smith: St. George

According to the website utahsdixie.com, the city of St. George (pop. 75,561) was named in honor of Mormon apostle George A. Smith, grandfather to future LDS Church President George Albert Smith. Smith did not settle there, but selected many of the pioneers who did, the website states.

Bart Anderson, a St. George naturalist, wrote that Smith was nicknamed "The Potato Saint" for urging pioneers to eat raw potatoes as a cure for scurvy. The cure worked, hence the name, "St. George," Anderson said.

One other theory for the origin of the St. George name is Phillip St. George Cooke, a non-Mormon military man and trusted friend of Brigham Young.

Jedediah Morgan Grant: Morgan County

Morgan County was created in 1862 and is named for Jedediah Morgan Grant, who was the father of LDS President Heber J. Grant, but also a "giant on earth" himself, according to a book review on the BYU Studies website. Grant served as Salt Lake's first mayor and as an apostle and counselor to President Brigham Young.

Mr. and Mrs. James Hogle: Hogle Zoo

Hogle Zoo has its roots back in 1911, according to the zoo website, when Liberty Park first hosted a display of monkeys and later deer. An elephant named Princess Alice was acquired in 1916, but by 1931, Alice was becoming a bit of a problem due to her propensity for escaping her enclosure and wandering through the neighborhoods of Salt Lake City. James Hogle and his wife, pictured here, donated the land on which the current Hogle Zoo sits.

Stephen A. Douglas: Fort Douglas

In October 1862, Colonel Patrick Edward Connor led a group of men in establishing Camp Douglas. According to a Fort Douglas history website, the camp allowed Connor and his men to keep an eye on the Overland Mail Route and the Mormons at the same time. The camp was designated as Fort Douglas in 1878. Connor named the camp after Sen. Stephen A. Douglas, D-Ill., who played an influential role in the organization of the Utah and New Mexico territories.

Douglas is perhaps best known for the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858, in which he debated the future President Abraham Lincoln.

President Millard Fillmore: Millard County and Fillmore

During the settlement of the Utah territory, plans were made for a territorial capital at the center of the area. In October 1851, the area of this planned capital was named as Millard County and the capital city was named Fillmore. According to the Utah History Encyclopedia, the names Millard and Fillmore were given in honor of then-President Millard Fillmore's "courage in appointing Brigham Young Utah's first territorial governor."

George Washington: Washington County

Washington County is named — predictably — for President George Washington, the first president of the United States, according to the Washington County Historical Society. The county was formed on March 3, 1852, four years after Brigham Young sent Parley P. Pratt and 50 men down to the explore the Virgin River Basin and colonization possibilities. The town of Washington was originally the county seat, but it changed to St. George in 1863.

Heber C. Kimball: Heber City

According to the Heber City website, the area of Heber City was settled primarily by LDS converts from Great Britain in 1859, and was originally named "London." In 1862, however, the townsite was renamed in honor of Heber C. Kimball, who was the first Mormon in Europe and served two missions in England.

Vivian McBride: Vivian Park (Provo Canyon)

According to utahcounty.gov, Vivian Park in Provo Canyon was first named "Billy's Place" and served as a resting spot for travelers. The area was later sold and changed into a recreation area with restaurants and boat rentals. The owner of the area named it after Vivian Gladys McBride, born Aug. 5, 1891, who lived nearby.

Gov. George W. Emery: Emery, Emery County

According to historytogo.utah.ogv, George W. Emery was born in 1830 in Maine and worked as a federal tax collector in the South before being appointed in 1875 by President Ulysses S. Grant to serve as the governor of Utah Territory. Emery County was named after him in 1880, after his term as governor had ended.

President Theodore Roosevelt: Roosevelt (Duchesne Co.)

According to the Roosevelt city website, the town (pop. 6,310) was first named Dry Gulch City, but Mary Harmston, the wife of founder Ed Harmston "raised the roof," saying, "Not on your life, not if I live here, I'll never be known as a drygulcher." She declared that the city would be named after President Theodore Roosevelt instead.

Ebenezer Bryce: Bryce Canyon

According to the National Park Service, settler Ebenezer Bryce and his family moved into the Bryce Canyon area in 1875, settling in Henderson Valley (New Clifton). While living in the area, Bryce built a road in order to reach needed timber. The road ended in an amphitheater that became known locally as "Bryce's Canyon," and even after Bryce and his family moved to Arizona in 1880, the name remained.

Jorgen Neilson: Neilson's Grove (Orem)

According to the orem-utah.us website, Nielsen's Grove "is thought to be the first official park in the State of Utah." The park was started by and named after Danish immigrant Jorgen Nielson. A 2005 Deseret News article said that Nielsen designed that first park in 1866 "after the fashion his uncle used in creating parks and gardens for the king of Denmark."

After being used as a World War I wheat farm and becoming a weed-infested swampland over the years, the park underwent a renovation that began in 1999 and concluded in 2005 with the park's reopening.