1. March 27,1977: 582 killed in a collision of two Boeing 747s operated by Pan American and KLM at the airport on Tenerife in Spain's Canary Islands.
2. Aug. 12, 1985: 520 killed when a Japan Air lines Boeing 747 crashed into a mountain on a domestic flight.
3. March 3, 1974: 346 killed when a Turkish DC-10 crashed 26 miles northeast of Paris.4. June 23, 1985: 329 killed when an Air India Boeing 747 crashed off the coast of Ireland.
5. Aug. 19, 1980: 301 killed in a fiery emergency landing of a Saudi Arabian L-1011 jet at the airport in the Saudi capital of Riyadh.
6. July 3, 1988, 290 killed when U.S. Navy ship shoots down an Iran Air Airbus over the Persian Gulf.
7. May 25, 1979: 275 killed when an American Airlines DC-10 crashed on takeoff in Chicago.
8. Sept. 1, 1983: 269 killed when a Korean Air Lines 747 was shot down by a Soviet fighter after flying through Soviet airspace near Sakhalin Island.
9. Nov. 28, 1979: 257 killed when an Air New Zealand DC-10 taking tourists to the South Pole struck a mountain in Antarctica.
10. Dec. 12, 1985: 256 killed when an chartered Arrow Air DC-8 carrying members of the 101st Airborne Division crashed on takeoff at Gander, Newfoundland. (AP)