Army officials are saying that Sunday's 15-hour visit by Soviet inspectors went just like clockwork.

"It was perfect," Dugway spokeswoman Kathy Whittaker said after the Soviets left at 8:45 p.m. to return to Travis Air Force Base near San Francisco.The Army hosted the Soviet inspectors, who will verify information the U.S. government gave the Soviets about cruise missiles.

The 10-member delegation arrived at Dugway Proving Ground at 5:35 a.m., spokeswoman Carol Fruik said, and began inspecting a ground-launch cruise missile site.

"The GLCM was tested here at Dugway. It was tested between '80 and '87, (and) the last launch was in August of '87," Fruik said.

Fruik said the inspectors were escorted by a 10-member delegation from the On-Site Inspection Agency, the federal office overseeing implementation of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

The treaty, signed Dec. 8 by President Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, calls for elimination of missiles with ranges from 300 to 3,400 miles.

The INF, which went into effect Friday, allows for the United States and Soviets to verify information provided to their governments in accordance with the treaty.

The inspectors, who comprise one of five Soviet teams that arrived last week in San Francisco, notified the base of their visit at 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Whittaker said.

Inspection site officials have a maximum of nine hours to get the Soviets to the area, under INF guidelines.

The inspection, however, was not a surprise to officials at Dugway. "We knew it had to happen between July 1 and Aug. 31," Whittaker said.

"There's not much out there for them to see," she said, adding the site was stripped after the last cruise missile test. "The concrete launch pad is all that's left."

The inspection can be no longer than 24 hours, but officials said the team may request an eight-hour extension. The Soviets must complete the spot checks, called baseline inspections, at 25 locations in the United States and Western Europe within two months.

"The inspectors can come back on short-term inspections for the next 13 years," Whittaker said, to verify that no more testing is conducted.

The inspectors were bused from Dugway's Michael Army Air Field to the installation's community center, where they had breakfast. At 7:30 a.m., the group left by bus to the base's 36-square-mile test range, an hour's drive across much of Dugway's 840,000 acres.

A team of 22 Soviets arrived Saturday in Salt Lake City to verify that production of Pershing 2 missile motors at Hercules Aerospace has ceased. The delegation will be stationed near the Magna plant and may stay in Utah for up to 13 years under the treaty's terms.