NIBLEY, Cache County — A fire started at a storage facility here Saturday evening, destroying 25 units and causing an estimated $1.5 to $1.75 million in damage, firefighters said.
About 8 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the facility in the area of 4000 South and 100 West in Nibley, Cache County, said Blake Christensen, Hyrum assistant fire chief.
A man was working on a car inside a unit and had a mechanical problem when the fire started, Christensen said. That man called 911.
When crews arrived, heavy smoke and flames were billowing through the roof, he said.
Meanwhile, people whose belongings were locked away in the facility watched with anxiety.
Lynn Forsberg said he had a "$50,000 trailer in the vicinity of where the fire is."
"Guys have been working on cars in the garages, and they've got grease and some other things that they work on, and they bring cars in and out," Forsberg said, adding that is against the facility's rules. "I'm a little upset with it, yes."
Jaxon May, of Nibley, also has belongings in the storage facility. He learned of the fire after returning to Nibley from a Father's Day event. While the fire blazed, he wasn't sure if the flames had reached their building.
"If it's our unit, that's everything that we have. So we'd basically have to start all over because we just barely moved everything into there, so we'd have nothing really," May said. "I just hope they get it out soon, but it's moving pretty quick."2 comments on this story
Crews from at least 10 fire departments fought the blaze and put it out within 45 minutes, Christensen said.
No firefighters were injured. The vehicle owner who had called 911 sustained minor burns on his hands but was treated on scene and released.
The contents of the 25 units were destroyed in the fire as well.
Utah state fire marshal investigators were on scene after the fire, Christensen said. He did not immediately know if the man who was working on his vehicle could face charges in connection to the blaze.