SALT LAKE CITY — “Black Mirror” will return for a fifth season next month.
- The Netflix show dropped its new season trailer on Wednesday, revealing that new episodes will hit the streaming service on June 5.
- “Black Mirror” is a science fiction series that raises questions about how technology impacts our lives. Much of the show focuses on how our society can take technology too far and what the costs of that are for the world. Each season is broken down into single, unrelated episodes, much like "The Twilight Zone."
- The season 5 trailer hints at how those themes will be present in the new episodes. One example shows a public breakdown livestreamed on social media, while another shows a robot telling a young girl she can be a pop star. There’s even one that seems to be taking place in a video game.
- Anthony Mackie, Miley Cyrus, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Topher Grace, Damson Idris, Andrew Scott, Nicole Beharie, Pom Klementieff, Angourie Rice, Madison Davenport and Ludi Lin are all set to star in the new season, according to The Verge.
- And it looks like Miley Cyrus, who appears in the trailer, will play a major role. According to Variety, Cyrus will be playing a “meta” character that is not unlike herself.
- “Cyrus appears to be taking part in a meta storyline, as she portrays a performer with thousands of fans who appears to have undergone a transformation in order to rise to a higher level of fame,” according to Variety.
“Black Mirror” season 5 will arrive on Netflix six months after the show released “Bandersnatch,” a one-off interactive movie that gave viewers a choose-your-own-adventure stylestoryline about a young man trying to build a video game.