Evan Agostini, Invision/Associated Press
Creator/executive producers David Benioff, left, and D. B. Weiss attend HBO's "Game of Thrones" final season premiere at Radio City Music Hall on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, in New York.

SALT LAKE CITY — Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed this week that “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will helm the first “Star Wars” trilogy after “The Rise of Skywalker.”

Iger said at the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications summit that Benioff and Weiss will lead the new trilogy, which will arrive in theaters in 2022, according to Gizmodo.

  • “We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who are famous for 'Game of Thrones,' and the next movie that we release will be theirs,” Iger said, according to Gizmodo. “And we’re not saying anything more about that.”

Disney will wait for three years between the release of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” and the next “Star Wars” trilogy from the “Game of Thrones” showrunners.

Iger said this was on purpose to avoid “Star Wars” fatigue.

Comment on this story
  • “[We thought] it would be smart for us to take a bit of a hiatus while we figure out what’s next. Now, we’re not going to wait until ['The Rise of Skywalker'] is released and start figuring it out, we’re actually hard at work doing that already,” he said, according to Gizmodo. “The conclusion that we reached was that three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to really gear up for the next film’s release.”

Disney confirmed last year that the project from Benioffand Weiss will be pushed back to avoid feelings of fatigue, according to my report for the Deseret News. Iger told The Hollywood Reporter that Disney released too many “Star Wars” films at once — “The Force Awakens” (2015), “Rogue One” (2016), “The Last Jedi” (2017), and “Solo” (2018) were all released within the space of three years — and wanted to wait before releasing more content.