Paul Beaty, Associated Press
In this March 26, 2019, file photo, actor Jussie Smollett smiles and waves to supporters before leaving Cook County Court after his charges were dropped in Chicago. Two brothers, Olabinjo Osundairo and Abimbola Osundairo, who said they helped Smollett stage a racist and homophobic attack against himself are suing the "Empire" actor's attorneys for defamation. A lawyer for the brothers filed the federal lawsuit Tuesday, April 23, in Chicago.

SALT LAKE CITY — “Empire” will end its run on Fox after its upcoming sixth season, Deadline reports.

The announcement comes two weeks after Fox Entertainment renewed "Empire" for a sixth season. Fox Entertainment’s Charlie Collier formally announced during a call that “Empire” will drop off Fox’s schedule after next year, according to Deadline.

“We're turning the final season of Empire into a large television event. If you look at what we're doing with Empire ... we really are trying to go out guns a-blazing," Collier said, according to Entertainment Tonight. "One of the great benefits of announcing a final season is to allow the fans to lean in and to have the ending they deserve, and that's everything we're trying to do with this iconic series. Six years is a pretty remarkable run for a drama series and we feel good about it."

“Empire” will run for 20 episodes in its final season.

Collier said Jussie Smollett — who made headlines earlier this year after he was accused of faking a hate crime attack on himself in Chicago — isn’t scheduled to appear in the new season. Smollett still maintains his innocence. All 16 charges against him were dropped, according to Deadline.

“There’s an option to have Jussie in the series but we have no plans for that,” he said.

2 comments on this story

Collier said there are no plans to bring Smollett back for a final farewell, either, according to Variety.

A spokesman for 20th Century Fox TV also told Fox News that there are no plans for Smollett’s return.

A spokesperson for Smollett told Fox News at the time: “We've been told that Jussie will not be on ‘Empire’ in the beginning of the season, but he appreciates they have extended his contract to keep Jamal’s future open. Most importantly he is grateful to Fox and ‘Empire’ leadership, cast, crew and fans for their unwavering support.”