MORAGA, Calif. — Sophomore pitcher Arissa Paulson led BYU to a 7-0 shutout of Saint Mary’s on Friday afternoon at Cottrell Field.
“It was a good win today,” BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. “Arissa Paulson pitched a great game today and also set the tone offensively with a two-run shot in the first inning. Tomorrow we just need to execute better with runners in scoring position.”
- The Cougars (25-21, 9-1 WCC) held the Gaels (11-35, 4-6 WCC) scoreless in the first game of the series. It was the sixth shutout game this season for BYU.
- Paulson tallied her 13th win this season with a complete game and her third shutout in the last two weeks while also hitting a home run during the game.
- Rylee Jensen, Paulson and Olivia Sanchez all drove in runners during the game.
- Paulson: W (13-9), 7.0 IP, 8 H, 0R, 2 K
- Sanchez: 3-4, 2 RBI, 2B
- Paulson: 1-2, 2R, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Lexi Tarrow: 3-4, 1 SB
The Cougars got on the board in the top of the first inning. Williams singled to left field and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. A Paulson homer just inside the left foul pole gave BYU a 2-0 lead to start the game.1 comment on this story
In the top of the third, Libby Sugg singled up the middle and Brooke Hill subbed in as a pinch runner. Paulson and Erickson both reached to load the bases before Sanchez lined a ball to center field to clear the bases for a 5-0 lead.
BYU tacked on two more runs in the top seventh inning. Allie Hancock, as a pinch runner, and Marissa Chavez made it home as Jensen reached on an infield single. The Cougars held the Gaels scoreless in the bottom of the seventh and BYU took the win 7-0.
BYU finishes up the series against Saint Mary’s with a doubleheader Saturday, May 4. The first game starts at 12 p.m. followed by the second game at 2 p.m. PDT. Live stats will be on the schedule page.