SALT LAKE CITY — “Empire” will come back for a sixth season this fall, but the fate of Jussie Smollett on the show remains in question, Deadline reports.
- “By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett’s option for Season 6, but at this time there are no plans for the character of Jamal to return to Empire,” Fox Entertainment and 20th Century Fox TV said in a statement, according to Deadline.
- Smollett's representatives said that the actor, who has played Jamal Lyon on “Empire” since the show debuted in January 2015, is happy to see the show return.
- “We’ve been told that Jussie will not be on Empire in the beginning of the season but he appreciates they have extended his contract to keep Jamal’s future open,” the representatives said, according to Deadline. “Most importantly he is grateful to Fox and Empire leadership, cast, crew and fans for their unwavering support.”
Flashback: In January, Smollett was reportedly attacked in what was described as a homophobic and racist incident, according to the Associated Press.
- But the Chicago Police Department launched an investigation and ended up arresting for Smollett on charges for filing a false police report, the Associated Press reported.
- The charges were dropped and Smollett has long maintained his innocence, according to the Associated Press. The writers for “Empire” wrote Smollett out of the final episodes of the ongoing fifth season.