1 of 9
Pat Reavy, Deseret News
A West Valley SWAT team surrounds a Sandy home on Monday and took a person of interest into custody in connection with a fatal shooting Sunday morning at a West Valley restaurant parking lot.

SANDY — Two people were arrested Monday, one of them following a SWAT operation at a Sandy home, in connection with Sunday's fatal shooting at a West Valley restaurant parking lot.

Jake Gengelbach, 22, was shot and killed in the parking lot of Hire's Big H, 4700 S. 2900 West, early Sunday. Police were originally called to the nearby Overlook Point apartments where several residents called 911 reporting they heard multiple shots being fired.

West Valley police announced late Monday they had arrested Hassan Al Rekabi, 18, for investigation of homicide and obstruction of justice. Samuel Niu, 19, was arrested for obstruction of justice, police said.

Silas Walker, Deseret News
Police serve a search warrant on a house in Sandy after taking a person of interest in a West Valley killing into custody with a SWAT team on Monday, April 29, 2019.

Monday afternoon, detectives had collected information that led them to a house in Sandy in the 2100 East block of Newcastle Drive.

"There was a heavy show of force given the circumstances behind the homicide, knowing that there was a weapon involved. We just don't take any chances," said West Valley Police Lt. Bill Merritt.

An armored BearCat drove onto the lawn up to the front porch of the house and a SWAT team in full tactical gear took the man into custody. Nearby streets were blocked off as the SWAT team made the arrest.

As SWAT prepared to serve the search warrant, police said, Rekabi drove away from the home. Officers found him in a nearby parking lot and brought him in for questioning.

Niu was believed to have been present when Gengelbach was shot, according to police. He was taken into custody without incident at the house and was also arrested after being interviewed.

Because occupants of the house have a history of hostility toward police, a robot was used to clear the house to make sure no one was hiding inside, Merritt said. Three other people were in the home at the time of Niu's arrest.

3 comments on this story

A search warrant was being served on the house Monday afternoon to look for additional evidence.

On social media Monday, many people posted messages of condolence and tribute to Gengelbach.

"This one hit home and it broke my heart. … I have no words," one woman wrote. "You didn't deserve this."

"This is so unreal to me. … You were one of the real good friends I had," posted another. "You will never be replaced or forgotten. Rest in peace to one of my real ones!"