SAN DIEGO —No. 7-seeded Utah State (12-11, 2-3 MW) lost, 4-1, to the No. 2 seed Air Force (22-2, 4-1 MW) on Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West championship in San Diego.
"Today was an outstanding college tennis match," said head coach Sean McInerney. "Both teams battled and fought for each point and played well. In the end, Air Force just beat us. I was proud of our effort and the way we ended this season."
In doubles, freshman Sidnee Lavatai and sophomore Alexandra Pisareva fell, 6-0, at the second spot, and the Falcons clinched the doubles point at the top spot as USU junior Hannah Jones and sophomore Alexandra Taylor lost, 6-0, to No. 73-ranked junior TJ Fumagalli and freshman Kristin Kerrigan, who also earned all-Mountain West as a doubles tandem. Freshman Annaliese County and junior Lucy Octave's match at the third position was tied, 3-3, but the match ended unfinished due to the other courts' results.
The Aggies were down 3-0 early in singles play as Octave and Lavatai lost in straight sets at the No. 4 and 6 spots, respectively. Freshman Gabrielle Dekkers cut the deficit to two as she recorded a 6-2, 7-5 straight-set win at the No. 5 spot. County won her first set 7-6 (3) at the No. 3 spot, but fell in her final two sets as the Falcons recorded the victory. USU's all-Mountain West singles recipient Pisareva won her first set at the No. 1 spot, 6-1, and lost her second set to all-MW singles honoree Fumagalli. The third set had a 1-0 score in Fumagalli's favor, but the match went unfinished. Jones also won her first set at the No. 2 spot, 6-4, before losing her second set. The third and final set saw Jones up 5-1 before the match went unfinished.
Utah State finished the 2019 season with 12 wins, as McInerney has recorded double-digit wins in all six seasons at the helm of Utah State. Jones finished the season one of only eight Aggies to record 100 or more combined wins, as the South Ogden, Utah, native has 102 career wins. Jones is also tied for fifth with 62 career singles win. Pisareva finished the season with a team-leading 22 singles victories, matching her mark from last season.
Air Force 4, Utah State 1
1. TJ Fumagalli/Kristin Kerrigan (AF) def. Hannah Jones/Alexandra Taylor (USU) 6-0
2. Ashleigh Harvey/Meredith Jones (AF) def. Sidnee Lavatai/Alexandra Pisareva (USU) 6-0
3. Elizabeth Barnickel/Nadeen Lieberman (AF) vs. Annaliese County/Lucy Octave (USU) 3-3, unfinished
SinglesComment on this story
1. TJ Fumagalli (AF) vs. Alexandra Pisareva (USU) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
2. Elizabeth Barnickel (AF) vs. Hannah Jones (USU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-5, unfinished
3. Meredith Jones (AF) def. Annaliese County (USU) 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-1
4. Kristin Kerrigan (AF) def. Lucy Octave (USU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Gabrielle Dekkers (USU) def. Ashleigh Harvey (AF) 6-2, 7-5
6. Nadeen Lieberman (AF) def. Sidnee Lavatai (USU) 7-5, 6-3
Utah State 12-11 (2-3 MW) Air Force 22-2 (4-1 MW)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,6,5,3) quarterfinals match No. 6 2019 MW women's tennis championship