No. 3 seed BYU fell 4-3 to No. 6 seed Santa Clara Thursday at the Biszantz Tennis Center in the first round of the West Coast Conference Tournament.
The Cougars (17-6, 6-3) came out strong to start their match before the Broncos (16-7, 5-4) fought back to earn the victory.
BYU took the early momentum by claiming the doubles point. Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu clinched the point at No. 1 doubles by defeating Andrew Gu and Robert Seby 6-3. Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardotopped Arthur Nehaus and Connor Garnett in a quick 6-1 match at No. 2 doubles while Matthew Pearce and Mateo Vereau Melendez fell 6-3 at No. 3 doubles to Kamran Khan and Vasileios Iliopoulos.
Up 1-0 going into singles play, Hill claimed the second point for BYU when he defeated his opponent Gu 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
Santa Clara’s Seby battled back and grabbed a 6-4, 6-3 win over Ben Gajardo at No. 5 singles. Hsu gained momentum from a close tiebreaker win in his first set to best Jesus Barajas 7-6, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
With the Cougars up 3-1, the Broncos came back to win three consecutive sets to win the dual-match 4-3.
Tullis put up a battle at No. 4 singles, but he fell to Iliopoulos 7-6, 6-2. Pearce was defeated by Santiago Hinojosa 7-5, 6-2 at No. 5 singles and Vereau lost at No. 3 singles to Garnett, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3.
BYU concluded its 2018-19 season at 17-6 overall and 6-3 in conference play while four players earned All-WCC honors.
#48 BYU 3, Santa Clara 4
DOUBLES RESULTSComment on this story
- Sean Hill/Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) def. Andrew Gu/Robert Seby (SCU) 6-3
- Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo(BYU) def. Arthur Neuhaus/Connor Garnett (SCU) 6-1
- Kamran Khan/Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez/Matthew Pearce (BYU) 6-3
Order of finish: (1, 3, 2)
- Sean Hill (BYU) def. Andrew Gu (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
- Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) def. Jesus Barajas (SCU) 7-6, 6-1
- Connor Garnett (SCU) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Sam Tullis (BYU) 7-6, 6-2
- Rob Seby (SCU) def. Ben Gajardo(BYU) 6-4, 6-3
- Santiago Hinojosa (SCU) def. Matthew Pearce (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: (1, 5, 2, 4, 6, 5)