Weber County Jail
Joshua Matthew Bailey, 24, of Ogden, was charged Wednesday with child abuse, a second-degree felony, involving a 3-year-old girl.

OGDEN — Doctors told investigators that if a 3-year-old girl had continued living in the home of an Ogden man accused of abusing her, she would have died.

Joshua Matthew Bailey, 24, was formally charged in 2nd District Court Wednesday with child abuse, a second-degree felony.

Bailey was watching his infant son and a 3-year-old girl while her mother was at work on Feb. 12. Bailey told police that the girl then had a seizure, according to the charging documents.

"(She) 'took a step, her hands went up' and she went into a seizure. Joshua admitted to leaving bruises on her face after he was 'smacking' her during her seizure to keep her awake and bruising under her jaw from checking for her pulse," the charges state.

But when the young girl arrived at the hospital, doctors discovered the injuries were much more extensive.

"After arriving at McKay-Dee, staff discovered severe bruising all over (the girl), including her legs, arms, face, neck, back, buttocks and genitals. A CT scan was done and (she) showed an old brain bleed on the back of her head. The medical report showed the injuries were non-accidental and that if (the girl) continued to remain in the home it would be likely that she would die," according to court documents.

Bailey denied causing the injuries with the exception of the bruises to the girl's face and neck.

Comment on this story

Investigators also noted in charging documents that Bailey's first call after the seizure was to the girl's mother and not 911, and he then drove in the opposite direction of the hospital to pick up another person before going to the emergency room.

In March of 2018, Bailey was convicted of criminal mischief in a domestic violence related case, according to court records. He was placed on probation and ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation.

He was also convicted of criminal mischief in 2016, and assault twice in separate cases in 2014.