After a wild final night of the NBA regular season, the Utah Jazz will play the Houston Rockets in the first round of the playoffs.
The Jazz entered the night needing either the Minnesota Timberwolves to beat the Denver Nuggets or the Sacramento Kings to beat the Portland Trail Blazers to draw the Trail Blazers in the first round instead of the Houston Rockets.
Both games went down to the wire, and both the Nuggets and Trail Blazers claimed comeback victories after falling behind big. As such, Utah will face the Rockets in the first round.
The Nuggets closed with a 15-0 run to beat the Timberwolves by four. Portland, which wanted to tank the final game to play the Jazz in the first round instead of the Oklahoma City Thunder, erased a 25-point halftime deficit and won by five.
The Jazz will be the fifth seed in the Western Conference and Houston will be the fourth seed, meaning the Rockets will have homecourt advantage.
Here's the schedule (MDT):
NBA Western Conference Quarterfinals
No. 4 Houston Rockets vs. No. 5 Utah Jazz6 comments on this story
- Game 1: Sunday, 7:30 p.m. at Houston, ATTSN/TNT
- Game 2: Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. at Houston, ATTSN/TNT
- Game 3: Saturday, April 20, 8:30 p.m. at Salt Lake City, ATTSN/ESPN
- Game 4: Monday, April 22, 8:30 p.m. at Salt Lake City, ATTSN/TNT
- Game 5: Wednesday, April 24, TBD, at Houston, TBD, if necessary
- Game 6: Friday, April 26, TBD at Salt Lake City, TBD, if necessary
- Game 7: Sunday, April 28, TBD at Houston, TBD, if necessary
Utah also had a game Wednesday, as it finished its regular season against the LA Clippers with a 143-137 overtime loss on the road. Both teams were locked into their playoff seeds (Clippers eighth) before the game, so it didn't affect the standings at all. As such, Joe Ingles was the only Jazz starter who played.
Grayson Allen led all scorers with 40 points in 41 minutes.