Stock image
FILE - A St. Louis man who was arrested in Utah County after being found with a loaded handgun and a woman barely coherent in his backseat, was scheduled to be in court Tuesday.

PROVO — A St. Louis man who was arrested in Utah County after being found with a loaded handgun and a woman barely coherent in his back seat was scheduled to be in court Tuesday.

Kenneth Samuel B. Shelton, 26, was charged March 25 in 4th District Court with possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony; reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor; carrying a concealed weapon, a class B misdemeanor; possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor; and speeding, an infraction.

The odd series of events began March 19 when Shelton was pulled over in Provo Canyon for going 92 mph in a 55 mph zone, according to charging documents. Shelton claimed he was traveling to Las Vegas.

When the Utah County sheriff's deputy who pulled him over learned that Shelton was wanted out of state on a weapon's charge and had a warrant for his arrest, he tried to get Shelton out of the car. But he refused. That's when Shelton reached toward his waistband where he "had a .380 handgun with rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber," the charges state.

Deputy Greg Sherwood — who was shot in the head five years ago by a man wanted for killing Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride — was able to take Shelton into custody without any shots being fired, the charges state.

After Shelton was placed into custody, the case took another bizarre twist when a woman was found on the floor in the back of the car. That discovery was made 40 minutes after the vehicle was pulled over, according to charging documents.

"The female had her legs bent under her with her head between her legs and was covered in clothing. Deputies on scene noted she would be unable to get into that position and covered on her own. Deputies had to lift the female off the floor and (placed) her on the back seat where she continued to be unresponsive," according to a search warrant affidavit filed in 4th District Court.

1 comment on this story

Shelton "made several comments which indicated that he believed that the female was deceased," the charges state.

The woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment. When investigators were eventually able to talk to her, she claimed she only knew Shelton by his moniker and that she was not with him willingly, the warrant states.

Ultimately, Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said there wasn't enough evidence to show that the woman was kidnapped or being held against her will. She also had a warrant out of Missouri and has already been sent back to that state to face charges, he said.