LOGAN —Utah State men's tennis' (15-8, 3-1 MW) six-match conference winning streak and 13-match conference winning streak came to an end as they lost to New Mexico (9-6, 4-0 MW) with a 4-1 final on Sunday afternoon at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
In doubles play, juniors Sergiu Bucur and Duro Opacic opened with a 6-4 victory at the third position, but the Lobos would win on the remaining two courts to capture the doubles point.
After New Mexico made it a 2-0 contest, sophomore Jose Carvajal won at the No. 2 spot in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-3, making it a 2-1 game. The Aggies were then down 3-1 as sophomore Felipe Acosta fell at the No. 3 spot, and Bucur fell in straight-sets at the No. 4 spot, earning the Lobos the win. Both freshman Rithvik Bollipalli and Opacic won their first sets at the No. 5 and 6 spots, respectively, but fell in their second set, and there third sets went unfinished.
The Aggies will hit the road next week for a pair of matches at Fresno State on Friday, April 12, at 6 p.m. MDT, and at Nevada on Sunday, April 14, at 1 p.m.
New Mexico 4, Utah State 1
1. Ricky Hernandez Tong/Stepan Holis (NM) def. Rithvik Bollipalli/Jose Carvajal (USU) 7-6 (7-0)
2. Facundo Bermejo/Dominic West (NM) def. Felipe Acosta/Isaac Arevalo Gómez (USU) 6-3Comment on this story
3. Sergiu Bucur/Duro Opacic (USU) def. Tim Buttner/Nicolas Prieto (NM) 6-4
1. Ricky Hernandez Tong (NM) def. Isaac Arevalo Gómez (USU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Dominic West (NM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Stepan Holis (NM) def. Felipe Acosta (USU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Tim Buttner (NM) def. Sergiu Bucur (USU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) vs. Facundo Bermejo (NM) 6-3, 1-6, 2-4, unfinished
6. Duro Opacic (USU) vs. Nicolas Prieto (NM) 6-1, 1-6, 4-1, unfinished
New Mexico 9-6, 4-0 MW
Utah State 15-8, 3-1 MW
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); singles (1, 2, 3, 4)