ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —Utah State women's tennis (9-8, 0-1 MW) lost its conference opener, 5-2, to New Mexico (9-8, 2-1) on Friday afternoon at the McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium.
"I thought we came out and did a good job in doubles today and played smart and enthusiastic and took the point,” said head coach Sean McInerney. "In singles, we didn't maintain the required movement and positive energy that is needed to beat good conference teams on the road. We will regroup and take on a very good Air Force team on Sunday."
Utah State won the doubles point as sophomore Alexandra Pisareva and freshman Sidnee Lavatai won at the top spot, 6-3, while freshman Annaliese County and junior Lucy Octave cruised to a 6-2 victory at the third position.
In singles play, the Lobos made it a 3-1 contest with three straight straight-set wins at the sixth, fifth and third spots. Pisareva recorded a 6-1, 7-6 (2) win at the No. 1 spot to cut the deficit by 1 point. Octave won her first set at the No. 2 spot, 6-4, but lost her final two sets, as the Lobos clinched the match. Both teams decided to play on at the No. 4 spot, as freshman Gabrielle Dekkers won her first, 6-4, but fell in the final two sets.
The Aggies wrap up their 10-match road trip at Air Force on Sunday, April 7, at noon.
New Mexico 5, Utah State 2
1. Alexandra Pisareva/Sidnee Lavatai (USU) def. Danielle Quevado/Yue Lin Chen (NM) 6-3
2. Bronte Murgett/Natasha Munday (NM) def. Gabrielle Dekkers/Alexandra Taylor (USU) 6-1Comment on this story
3. Annaliese County/Lucy Octave (USU) def. Ruth Copas/Hsiang-Wen Huang (NM) 6-2
1. Alexandra Pisareva (USU) def. Ruth Copas (NM) 6-1, 7-6 (2)
2. Bronte Murgett (NM) def. Lucy Octave (USU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3)
3. Hsiang-Wen Huang (NM) def. Annaliese County (USU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Danielle Quevedo (NM) def. Gabrielle Dekkers (USU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Natasha Munday (NM) def. Sidnee Lavatai (USU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Yue Lin Chen (NM) def. Alexandra Taylor (USU) 6-1, 6-1
Utah State 9-8, 0-1 MW
New Mexico 9-8, 2-1 MW
Order of finish: Singles (6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 4)