LOGAN —Utah State men's tennis (13-7, 1-0 MW) ended the nonconference portion of their schedule with a 4-3 home loss to Cal Poly (8-6, 0-0 Big West) on Wednesday afternoon at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
The Aggies secured the doubles point as junior Duro Opacic and sophomore Felipe Acosta notched the 6-4 win at the third spot, while freshman Isaac Arevalo Gómez and sophomore Jose Carvajal clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory at the top position.
In singles play, Cal Poly won at the second spot to tie up the score, but freshman Rithvik Bollipalli earned a 6-2, 6-3 straight-set win at the No. 5 spot to make it 2-1 Aggies. After a loss at the third spot, Acosta made it 3-2 Aggies, as he recorded a 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-0 win at the No. 4 spot. Arevalo Gómez fell in the No. 1 spot, as the Mustangs made it a 3-3 contest. Opacic was the last match to go, and after a first-set loss, he won his second set, 7-5. The third and deciding set came down to a tiebreaker, but Cal Poly won the set and secured the match.
Utah State will continue their homestand against San Diego State (8-6, 0-0 MW) on Friday at 11 a.m., at the Sport Academy & Racquet Club.
Cal Poly 4, Utah State 3
1. Isaac Arevalo Gómez/Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Josh Ortlip/Dominic Bechard (CP) 6-4
2. Gary Vardanyan/Antoine Noel (CP) def. Sergiu Bucur/Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) 6-3Comment on this story
3. Duro Opacic/Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Andrew Whitehouse/Daly Meinert (CP) 6-4
1. Josh Ortlip (CP) def. Isaac Arevalo Gómez (USU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Antoine Noel (CP) def. Jose Carvajal (USU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Alex Stater (CP) def. Sergiu Bucur (USU) 6-3, 7-6 (1)
4. Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Gary Vardanyan (CP) 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-0
5. Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) def. Dominic Bechard (CP) 6-2, 6-3
6. Daly Meinert (CP) def. Duro Opacic (USU) 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (4)
Cal Poly 8-6
Utah State 13-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,1,6)