SALT LAKE CITY — Before there was one ring to rule them all, there was one man to create it, and today we’re getting another glimpse of a new biopic about his life.
What happened: Fox Searchlight Pictures just dropped the first trailer for the upcoming film “Tolkien,” and it shows us some of the moments in author J.R.R. Tolkien’s life that inspired the epic trilogy “The Lord of the Rings.”
- The film stars Nicholas Hoult as Tolkien and focuses on Tolkien’s formative years prior to the creation of “The Lord of the Rings” series and “The Hobbit,” according to Polygon.
- "Tolkien" will feature the author’s experiences in school and serving in World War I, which heavily influenced the creation of the battle for Middle-earth.
- It will also feature Lily Collins as Tolkien’s wife Edith Bratt and tell their love story, according to Polygon.
Last spring, Amazon announced that it would be revisiting Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” novels in a rebooted television series.
- Amazon will begin producing the show before 2020, and it’s projected to be a series spanning five years, according to SyfyWire.
- It’s anticipated to arrive sometime in 2021, according to SyfyWire.
“Tolkien” will hit theaters on May 10, 2019.