SALT LAKE CITY — “Captain Marvel” will be the first Disney Plus exclusive film, signaling a change in which Disney movies will no longer appear initially on Netflix.
Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors Tuesday that it will end its $140 million year-over-year licensing revenue rate in favor of adding content to Disney Plus exclusively, The Verge reports.
- Iger said “Captain Marvel” will be the first film to be withheld from licensee partners.
- Iger said every part of Disney is thinking of exclusive ideas for Disney Plus.
- “We have a number of creative engines across our company, many of which are dedicating their time and talents to develop content for the Disney+ platform,” Iger said, according to The Verge. “Many are the same innovators driving the prolific success of Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel. We look forward to leveraging National Geographic for even more content on Disney+.”
What we know: We’re already aware of some products that will debut on Disney Plus.Comment on this story
- “The Mandalorian” is a “Star Wars” series that will follow the life of a bounty hunter.
- Loki- and Scarlet Witch-themed shows from the Marvel Cinematic Universe will appear on the platform.
- All new “Star Wars” films will drop on the platform. However, the older “Star Wars” films may not appear for some time due to licensing rights.
- Disney will add at least four original programs that come from “Star Wars,” the Marvel universe, “High School Musical” and “Monsters Inc.”
Bigger picture: We’re still uncertain about the price and launch date of Disney Plus. But, as I reported last month, a sneak peek at the platform will reportedly drop in April.