SALT LAKE CITY — Keanu Reeves will voice a mysterious and secret character in “Toy Story 4” this summer, and the internet believes he might have appeared in “The Incredibles 2.”
In April 2018, Nathan Fariss, the sets supervisor for “Toy Story 4” and “The Incredibles 2,” told BuzzFeed News there would be an Easter egg for the former movie in the latter movie.
Context: This fits with Pixar’s consistent decision to add Easter eggs into all of its films that are winks and nods back to previous movies, according to ComicBook.com. For example, you can find a pizza truck driving through multiple films.
- Fariss said the Easter egg wouldn’t make sense without seeing “Toy Story 4.”
- "It probably won’t make any sense until 'Toy Story 4' comes out," Fariss told BuzzFeed. "I didn’t even know anything about it before. You might see it and go, 'What the heck is that?' And then move on."
Now, according to Uproxx, there’s been a major character we haven’t learned about yet in trailers or teasers (the latest of which dropped Sunday night). That character is Duke Kaboom, who will be voiced by Keanu Reeves.Comment on this story
- The Observer previously reported the character will be “a character named Duke Kaboom, who hails from a place where discontinued toys are sent. … Apparently, Bo Peep (voiced by Annie Potts) seeks out his help in retrieving her sheep after they’ve been taken from her.”
- Reeves confirmed he would appear in the movie. He said Pixar “pitched the character to me and then we spoke and they allowed me to kind of riff on it.”
And, as Uproxx notes, there’s a YouTube video that points out a character inside baby Jack’s crib surrounded by block letters “W,” “D,” and “Y.”
- That should sound familiar — it’s basically “Woody.”
Verdict: We have no idea if this is actually the Easter egg until “Toy Story 4” drops June 21.