SALT LAKE CITY — Electronic Arts and Respawn Entertainment just launched what can only be described as a potential “Fortnite” killer.
The new game, called “Apex Legends,” is available today for PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One. You can currently download it in the PlayStation Store, Origin and Xbox Games Store, according to Kotaku, a video game news website.
“This wasn’t a game any of us expected to make at Respawn after Titanfall, including myself,” Drew McCoy, executive producer on “Apex Legends,” told reporters, according to The Verge.
McCoy said the game won't be cross-platform at launch, nor will your achievement carry over between platforms, The Verge reported.
The game takes place in the Titanfall universe, based on the game “Titanfall,” which includes a number of characters called Titans, reminescent of those giant robots from "Pacific Rim."
- The game will include human and robots called Legends, who will have special powers and weapons, according to Polygon.
Similarities: Like other games, players will airdrop onto a map where they will compete in a battle royale survival mode while looking for weapons and loot.
- The game will have seasonal changes, including giving players a chance to unlock new weapons, characters and loot.
- EA plans to make money for the game through subscription passes to seasonal challenges (like the “Fortnite” battle pass) and by allowing players to purchase certain character skins, cosmetics and legends, The Verge reports.
Differences: This game will be a little different compared to “Fortnite” or “PUBG.”
- “For one, the game encourages you and your teammates to drop together by randomly selecting one member of the team to fly all three of you in. This avoids squabbling over where to drop and how best to ensure all of your squadmates are together from the get-go,” according to The Verge.
- Your teammates can also revive you in the middle of the game, according to The Verge.
- The game’s characters also have different classes, giving each player unique abilities to succeed.