SALT LAKE CITY — Little Bo Peep is returning to the big screen in “Toy Story 4” with a new story and a streamlined look.
- According to Polygon,“Toy Story 4” will mark the first theatrical appearance of Bo Peep in 20 years. She last appeared in “Toy Story 2” (1999).
- Bo Peep’s fate since the second film has remained largely unknown. We know she was Woody’s romantic interest in the first film, and, according to Lee Unkrich, director of “Toy Story 3,” she was given away in a yard sale.
- Now she’s back and, according to promotional photos, she’s ditched her dress for a bright blue jumpsuit and cape.
“Bo’s taken control of her own destiny,” said Josh Cooley, the director of “Toy Story 4,” in a press release this week. “While Woody was watching Andy grow up, Bo gathered dust until she took it upon herself to head out into the world. And when Woody shows up, they can’t believe that they’ve found each other again.”
What we know: Beyond Cooley’s comments, which imply that the fourth film may focus on Bo Peep’s back story, we know that the film will feature a love story.Comment on this story
- Back in 2015, "Good Morning America" reported that “Toy Story 4” was slated to be a rom-com centered around Bo Peep and Woody.
- Collider reported in the same year that the film will not put much focus on interactions between children and toys and will not be a direct sequel to “Toy Story 3." We know from directors that the film will in some way mention Bonnie, the new owner of the toys.
- In November 2018, Pixar dropped the first trailer for the new film, which features Forky, a self-conscious spork with googly eyes and pipe cleaner limbs. Cooley said in a statement that Forky is a homemade toy in crisis who “wants to fulfill his purpose as a spork, but now has a new toy purpose thrust upon him.”
“Toy Story 4” will be released June 21, 2019.
Watch the first trailer below.