1 of 4
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Police investigate a homicide at the Eight20 apartments where a 34-year-old female victim was stabbed in South Salt Lake on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019.

SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police are conducting a homicide investigation after a 26-year-old woman was found dead in a South Salt Lake apartment.

The woman, whose name has not yet been released, is believed to have died from a stab wound to the neck, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.

Angelo Terry Kirstine

Angelo Terry Kirstine 24, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder. Kirstine and the woman had been dating for several years, according to a police report.

"The deceased appeared to have suffered puncture wounds to her throat that likely caused her death," the report states.

Police received a call just before 1 a.m. Tuesday from the suspect's grandfather who had gone to his grandson's apartment, 820 W. 3900 South, to check on the woman after his grandson arrived at his house and told him something had happened, according to Keller.

About the same time the grandfather was checking on the woman, the boyfriend and other family members went to University of Utah Hospital where the man told hospital staffers that he had hurt somebody and that someone needed to check on the person he hurt, Keller said.

The man, who family members say has mental issues, then tried to check into the psychiatric unit at the hospital, he said.

"(Kirstine) was reported to have suffered from mental health related disorders and had violent tendencies as a result of those mental health related issues," the report states.

Keller said University of Utah police were called and detained Kirstine, not allowing him to check into the mental health ward until South Salt Lake police could arrive and question him. Kirstine was then taken into custody.

Investigators were still trying to determine Tuesday how long the woman had been dead.

Kirstine was on parole at the time of his arrest. He was convicted in two separate cases of robbery in 2013, and sentenced to one to 15 years at the Utah State Prison, according to court records. He was released from prison on parole in October.

2 comments on this story

In 2012 Kirstine was charged twice with aggravated assault in a pair of domestic violence-related incidents. Both cases were eventually thrown out when witnesses failed to come to court.

Court records show that a victim from one of those domestic violence cases filed for a protective order against Kirstine in September.

Help for people in abusive relationships can be found by contacting the YWCA's Women in Jeopardy program at 801-537-8600, or the confidential statewide Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-897-LINK (5465). Resources are also available online at udvc.org.