TAYLOR, Weber County — Carl and Georgene Smith have lived in their Taylor home for over 20 years, but they said they've never before experienced anything like what happened Tuesday morning.
"He come walking up my driveway, and I come walking out," Carl Smith recalled. "I didn't know there was a fire at that time."
Corrections Lt. Joshua Marigoni was driving in the area of 2850 S. 4700 West in an unincorporated area of Weber County when something caught his attention.
"As I pulled up, it was a lot of smoke, coming out of the roof, and out of the attic vents," Marigoni said Wednesday when talking about the incident.
Marigoni stopped and met Carl Smith in the driveway to warn him the home was on fire. He then went to the back bedroom where Georgene Smith was sleeping.
"He said, 'You've got to get outside. Your house is on fire.' So I grabbed my dogs, and off we went," she said Wednesday with a laugh.
In all, three adults, five dogs, and five cats, all got out safely.
"He must have been our guardian angel because we couldn't smell any smoke or anything," she said.
Marigoni said firefighters were quick to respond and several neighbors stopped by to check on the family.Comment on this story
On Wednesday, the lieutenant said he only did what many others would have done. "I just figured that's what we're here to do, and when we're given that opportunity, we need to jump in and we need to help," Marigoni said.
The Smiths said Marigoni saved their home, possibly their lives. The roof and ceiling were burned, but can otherwise be repaired.
"He saved our lives, I believe," she said.
Contributing: Ashley Imlay
Correction: Photo captions on a previous version said the fire occurred on Dec. 8, 2018. It happened on Jan. 8, 2019.