Two players with Utah ties made a pair of defensive plays in the fourth quarter Sunday during the Los Angeles Chargers’ 23-17 win over the Baltimore Ravens in the wild card round of the NFL playoffs.
Former BYU cornerback Michael Davis, who started at cornerback for the Chargers, had two solo tackles and a pair of pass deflections on back-to-back plays late in the game.
The first came when Davis, making his first playoff appearance, broke on a Lamar Jackson pass and nearly had an interception on a Baltimore drive that had reached the Chargers' red zone.
On the next play, Davis tipped away a pass in the end zone intended for tight end Mark Andrews on a second-and-15 play with two and a half minutes remaining.
While the Ravens eventually scored on the drive, cutting the Los Angeles lead to 23-17, it took an additional 33 seconds. That left Baltimore with just 45 seconds to drive for a potential game-winning score after holding the Chargers to a three-and-out on the ensuing drive.
On the opposite sideline, Eric Weddle started at free safety for the Ravens in his first playoff appearance since 2013, when he was playing for the Chargers.
He had seven solo tackles in the loss. That included a 1-yard tackle for loss on third down in the fourth quarter that forced a punt with Baltimore trying to rally from a 23-10 deficit. Earlier in the quarter, Weddle, who earned Pro Bowl honors for the third straight year, also had a tackle for no gain on a third-and-goal play moments into the fourth quarter. Los Angeles scored on the next play to take a 20-3 lead.
Here’s a look at how the other players with Utah ties on active NFL playoff rosters performed during the wild card round:
EAGLES 16, BEARS 15
- Haloti Ngata, DT, Highland High: Came on as a substitute, recording no statistics.
- Kylie Fitts, OLB, Utah: Came on as a substitute, recording no statistics.
- Patrick Scales, LS, Utah State and Weber High: Played 10 special teams snaps.
CHARGERS 23, RAVENS 17
- Michael Davis, CB, BYU: See above.
- Sam Tevi, OT, Utah: Started at right tackle, his 16th straight start for the Chargers.
- Eric Weddle, FS, Utah: See above.
COWBOYS 24, SEAHAWKS 22
Dallas3 comments on this story
- Dalton Schultz, TE, Bingham High: Started at tight end in his first postseason game and played 51 offensive snaps and five on special teams.
- Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, Timpview High: Not active for game with an ankle injury.
- Maurice Alexander, SS, Utah State: Played 21 special teams snaps.
- Bobby Wagner, MLB, Utah State: The first-team All-Pro started at middle linebacker and had five tackles, including three solo stops and a tackle for no gain on a third-and-1 play, while playing all 75 defensive snaps.
COLTS 21, TEXANS 7
- No locals on active roster
- No locals on roster