Here’s a rundown on all 10 WCC teams in order of how they were projected to finish by the league’s coaches last October:
- National ranking: 7
- Record: 13-2
- Statistical leaders: Rui Hachimura (21.2 points), Rui Hachimura (6.5 rebounds), Josh Perkins (7.1 assists).
- Coach: Mark Few (535-118)
- Best wins: vs. Arizona (91-74), vs. Duke (89-87)
- NET ranking: 6
- Nonconference note: The Zags’ only two nonconference losses came against nationally-ranked Tennessee and at North Carolina.
Saint Mary’s Gaels
- Record: 9-6
- Statistical leaders: Jordan Ford (22.7 points), Malik Fitts (7.9 rebounds), Tommy Kuhse (3.2 assists).
- Coach: Randy Bennett (392-162)
- Best wins: vs. California (84-71), vs. New Mexico (85-60)
- NET ranking: 64
- Nonconference note: The Gaels lost big to Utah State and suffered close losses to Louisiana State and Western Kentucky.
- Record: 8-7
- Statistical leaders: Yoeli Childs (22.3 points), Yoeli Childs (10 rebounds), TJ Haws (5 assists).
- Coach: Dave Rose (337-129)
- Best wins: vs. Utah State (95-80), vs. Utah (74-59)
- NET ranking: 115
- Nonconference note: The Cougars lost on the road to a pair of nationally ranked teams — Nevada and Mississippi State.
San Francisco Dons
- Record: 12-2
- Statistical leaders: Charles Minlend (15.3 points), Matt McCarthy (7.4 rebounds), Frankie Ferrari (5.7 assists).
- Coach: Kyle Smith (42-30)
- Best wins: vs. California (79-60), vs. Stanford (74-65)
- NET ranking: 40
- Nonconference note: The Dons dropped a close game against nationally ranked Buffalo and are coming off a 73-71 loss at UC Santa Barbara.
San Diego Toreros
- Record: 11-4
- Statistical leaders: Isaiah Pineiro (20.3 points), Isaiah Pineiro (8.3 rebounds), Isaiah Wright (5 assists).
- Coach: Sam Scholl (13-6)
- Best wins: vs. Colorado (70-64), at San Diego State (73-61)
- NET ranking: 80
- Nonconference note: The Toreros almost knocked off Washington on the road. They also fell at Ole Miss and Oregon in the preseason.
- Record: 10-5
- Statistical leaders: Roberto Gallinat (14.6 points), Jahlil Tripp (6.5 rebounds), Jahlil Tripp (3 assists).
- Coach: Damon Stoudamire (35-45)
- Best wins: vs. Air Force (82-69), at CSU Northridge (79-77)
- NET ranking: 170
- Nonconference note: Among the Tigers’ preseason losses — Nevada, UNLV, Fresno State and Boise State.
Loyola Marymount Lions
- Record: 12-2
- Statistical leaders: James Batemon (19.2 points), Mattias Markusson (7.4 rebounds), James Batemon (4 assists).
- Coach: Mike Dunlap (71-93)
- Best wins: at UNLV (61-50), vs. Georgetown (65-52), vs. Boise State (70-69)
- NET ranking: 113
- Nonconference note: The Lions won their first eight games of the season.
- Record: 7-7
- Statistical leaders: Colbey Ross (19.4 points), Jade’ Smith (6.1 rebounds), Colbey Ross (7.2 assists).
- Coach: Lorenzo Romar (398-291)
- Best wins: vs. Miami Ohio (86-80), vs. Idaho State (97-82)
- NET ranking: 222
- Nonconference note: In December, the Waves lost three straight games at Southern Utah, Oregon State and Long Beach State.
Santa Clara Broncos6 comments on this story
- Record: 8-6
- Statistical leaders: Tajh Eaddy (15.8 points), Josh Martin (9.6 rebounds), Trey Wertz 4.9 assists).
- Coach: Herb Sendek (449-337)
- Best wins: vs. USC (102-92), at Washington State (79-71)
- NET ranking: 231
- Nonconference note: The Broncos opened the season 0-4 but they have won seven out of their last eight games.
- Record: 7-8
- Statistical leaders: Marcus Shaver Jr. (14.7 points), Theo Akwuba (5.6 rebounds), Jojo Walker (3.7 assists).
- Coach: Terry Porter (28-52)
- Best wins: at CSU Northridge (80-77), vs. Sacramento State (76-67)
- NET ranking: 286
- Nonconference note: The Pilots have dropped six of their last eight contests.