SALT LAKE CITY — Blue Bell has created a new ice cream flavor just for the Mardi Gras season.
What’s going on: Blue Bell has created a new King Cake flavor of ice cream, which will be modeled after the pastry of the same name, according to a company press release.
- The company said the flavor can be found in stores at the half-gallon size.
- The flavor tastes like cinnamon cake ice cream with a cream cheese swirl.
- The ice cream will include candy sprinkles and actual pieces of pastry, which will be a nod to the Mardis Gras celebration, The Houston Chronicle reports.
Hidden meaning: Each of the candy colors will represent a specific message, too. Purple will mean "justice," green will mean "faith" and gold will mean "power."Comment on this story
- "Last year a grocery store in Louisiana posted about the flavor's arrival on its Facebook page and we started receiving requests from all over the country," corporate sales manager Carl Breed said in the press release. "After that, we decided to share this flavor with everyone in our distribution area."
- The company said it has been making the cake flavor since 2012 but has only sold it near Louisiana and Alabama, according to AL.com. This will be the first year that it hits stores nationwide.
Date: Mardis Gras occurs March 5.