SALT LAKE CITY — Here’s a look at the news for Jan. 2.
The Utah rape kit initiative is pushing for prosecution statewide. Read more.
Mitt Romney wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post that Trump “has not risen to the mantle of the office.” Read more.
A Utah doctor rushed to deliver Utah’s first baby of 2019 shortly after the stroke of midnight. Read more.
Four turnovers in the third quarter lead to Utah Utes’ collapse in 31-20 Holiday bowl loss to Northwestern Wildcats. Read more.
The Utah Jazz lost to the Toronto Raptors, 122-116, on Tuesday night. Read more.
A look at our political coverage:
- Congress leaders invited to White House for border briefing
- Federal shutdown and snow close Arches National Park until further notice
- Ben McAdams says 'bittersweet' goodbye to Salt Lake County mayor's office
- Government shutdown 'devastating' for federal workers, businesses near parks in Utah
- Utah Gov. Herbert proposes big boost for public defender system
Our most-read stories:Comment on this story
- Pensions, pot and gambling? Not a Utah problem
- From Argentina to Utah — how this Kaysville resident writes award-winning books in her second language
- What do the 'Bird Box' monsters look like? Here's our biggest explanation yet
- Jimmy Osmond recovering after suffering stroke while performing in England
- Dick Harmon: Has Kalani Sitake done enough for a contract extension? If so, the time is now
News from around the U.S. and world:
- In newly divided government, who will control the political agenda? | The New York Times
- Xi urges peaceful unification of China and Taiwan, but won't rule out using force | NPR
- Kim and Trump back at square 1: If U.S. keeps sanctions, North will keep nuclear program | The New York Times
- U.S. fires tear gas across Mexico border to stop migrants | NBC News
- Train accident on Danish bridge kills six | BBC News