SALT LAKE CITY — Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala had a brief reunion in a recent “Star Wars” comic.
What happened: In “Darth Vader #25,” a "Star Wars" comic produced by Marvel, Darth Vader travels through a “Sith Portal” to enter the afterlife where he confronts many of his past demons. It’s there where he meets Padme again, ComicBook.com reports.
- Vader, taking on his old Anakin Skywalker form, meets Padme atop of a balcony on the planet Mustafar, where the two last interacted (as seen in “Revenge of the Sith.”
- Skywalker confesses that he wants to bring his dead wife back to life. But she throws herself over the balcony instead, choking herself with red lightning. She says she wants nothing to do with Skywalker.
- “This act is tremendously symbolic as, before she commits this spiritual suicide, she compares Ani to a beautiful angel, just like he did her in ‘The Phantom Menace,’” according to ComicBook.com. “The choke is itself a nod to Anakin Force choking Padme at the end of ‘Revenge of the Sith’ when he thought she had sided with Obi-Wan Kenobi against him. That abusive act sent Padme into labor and resulted in her death during childbirth. It seems her spirit hasn't forgotten that betrayal.”
- It’s at this moment that the old Skywalker dies and he truly becomes Darth Vader.
Flashback: The new Marvel “Star Wars” comic, centered around Darth Vader, has been making headlines for its revelations about Vader and the aftermath of “Revenge of the Sith.”
- As I reported before, “Darth Vader #25” confirmed the long-running fan theory that Emperor Palpatine helped orchestrate the birth of Skywalker by manipulating midichlorians inside Shimi Skywalker.
- The comic also revealed that Vader constructed a temple on Mustafar — as seen in “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” — as a way to channel energy from the Force to bring Padme back to life, CBR reports.