Former Utah running back Devontae Booker found the end zone for the first time this season for the Denver Broncos in Week 9 of the NFL season, while former BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah returned to the field and had a sack for the Detroit Lions.
Booker ran untouched for a 14-yard touchdown in the second quarter of the Broncos' 19-17 loss to the Houston Texans on Sunday, cutting the Houston lead to 13-10. The score capped a four-play, 87-yard drive.
Booker, who played 26 offensive snaps, had three carries for 15 yards and added two receptions for 9 yards on four targets. He lost a fumble on a pass play on the drive before scoring the touchdown, setting up a Houston touchdown.
Ansah, meanwhile, had been inactive since Week 1 with a shoulder injury. He finally returned Sunday for Detroit in a 24-9 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.
Normally a starter, Ansah came on as a reserve and played limited snaps — 12 on defense and one on special teams.
He still made an impact in that short time, sacking Minnesota quarterback Kirk Cousins for a nine-yard loss on the second-to-last play before halftime, a second-and-7 at the Detroit 12. It forced the Vikings to kick a 39-yard field goal on the final play of the half.
Here’s a look at how the other NFL locals on active rosters performed during Week 9 of the regular season:
49ERS 34, RAIDERS 3
- Fred Warner, LB, BYU: Started at Mike linebacker and had a team-leading seven tackles, all solo, and added a pass deflection while playing 51 defensive snaps.
- James Cowser, DE/LB, Southern Utah and Davis High: Not active for game.
STEELERS 23, RAVENS 16
- Brian Allen, CB, Utah: Not active for game.
- Eric Weddle, FS, Utah: Started at free safety and had a team-leading seven tackles, including six solo stops, while adding a punt return for 18 yards when Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger utilized a quick punt in Baltimore territory. He played all 81 defensive snaps for the Ravens.
BEARS 41, BILLS 9
- Kylie Fitts, OLB, Utah: Played 36 defensive snaps.
- Patrick Scales, LS, Utah State and Weber High: Had a solo special teams tackle while playing 12 special teams snaps.
- Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State: Had two solo tackles and a pass deflection on a third-down play while playing 39 defensive snaps and six on special teams.
- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, Snow College and Bingham High: Started at defensive tackle and played 24 defensive snaps and eight on special teams.
PANTHERS 42, BUCCANEERS 28
- Tyler Larsen, OL, Utah State and Jordan High: Played six special teams snaps.
- No locals on roster
CHIEFS 37, BROWNS 21
- Marcus Kemp, WR, Layton High: Played 16 special teams snaps.
- Nate Orchard, DL, Utah and Highland High: Played one defensive snap and one on special teams.
- No locals on roster
DOLPHINS 13, JETS 6
- John Denney, LS, BYU: Played 12 special teams snaps.
- No locals on active roster
VIKINGS 24, LIONS 9
- No locals on roster
- Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU: See above.
- Miles Killebrew, S/LB, Southern Utah: Had an assisted special teams tackle while playing 22 special teams snaps.
- Nevin Lawson, CB, Utah State: Started at cornerback and had two tackles, including a solo stop, while playing 46 defensive snaps and six on special teams.
FALCONS 38, REDSKINS 14
- Zane Beadles, OL, Utah and Hillcrest High: Played six special teams snaps.
- Derrick Shelby, DE, Utah: Had a solo tackle — a two-yard tackle for loss — while playing 19 defensive snaps and two on special teams.
- Tony Bergstrom, OL, Utah and Skyline High: Played 66 offensive snaps and two on special teams.
- Kapri Bibbs, RB, Snow College: Scored on a three-yard touchdown run in the third quarter — his third score of the year — and had three carries for 20 yards, one reception for 15 yards and a kickoff return for 19 yards while playing 21 offensive snaps and seven on special teams.
- Alex Smith, QB, Utah: Started at quarterback and completed 30 of 46 passes, including a second-quarter touchdown, with an interception and added one carry for 22 yards while playing all 69 offensive snaps for the Redskins.
- Zach Vigil, LB, Utah State and Clearfield High: Played 23 special teams snaps.
TEXANS 19, BRONCOS 17
- No locals on roster
- Garett Bolles, OT, Utah, Snow College an Westlake High: Started at left tackle while playing all 66 offensive snaps for the Broncos and five on special teams.
- Devontae Booker, RB, Utah: See above.
- Tim Patrick, WR, Utah: Started at wide receiver and had one reception for 17 yards on four targets while playing 48 offensive snaps and two on special teams.
CHARGERS 25, SEAHAWKS 17
- Michael Davis, CB, BYU: Started at cornerback — his first career start — and had eight tackles, including seven solo stops, while playing all 81 defensive snaps and five on special teams.
- Sam Tevi, OL, Utah: Started at right tackle and played 40 offensive snaps and four on special teams.
- Maurice Alexander, S, Utah State: Not active for game.
- Bobby Wagner, MLB, Utah State: Started at middle linebacker and had a game-high 13 tackles, including eight solo stops, while adding a quarterback hurry and three pass deflections, including two on third downs, while playing all 51 defensive snaps for the Seahawks and four on special teams.
SAINTS 45, RAMS 35
- Taysom Hill, QB, BYU: Had two carries for 10 yards — including a 9-yard run for a fourth-down conversion — and two kickoff returns for 49 yards while playing 11 offensive snaps and 24 on special teams.
- Marcus Williams, FS, Utah: Started at free safety and had three tackles, including two solo stops, while playing all 60 defensive snaps for the Saints, seven on special teams and two on offense.
- Dominique Hatfield, CB, Utah: Played 16 special teams snaps.
- JoJo Natson, WR/Ret., Utah State: Played two special teams snaps.
PATRIOTS 31, PACKERS 17
New EnglandComment on this story
- Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU: Started at linebacker and had a team-leading nine tackles, including three solo and a tackle for loss, while playing 67 defensive snaps and seven on special teams.
- Kyler Fackrell, LB, Utah State: Had an assisted tackle while playing 36 defensive snaps and 21 on special teams.
- Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: Had seven carries for 34 yards and two receptions for 20 yards while playing 31 offensive snaps and four on special teams.
- Here’s a look at Utah ties on active rosters in the Monday night game:
- LeShaun Sims, CB, Southern Utah
- Dalton Schultz, TE, Bingham High
- Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, Timpview High