Taysom Hill used a 12-play fourth-quarter touchdown drive to help New Orleans rally past the Jacksonville Jaguars 24-20 Thursday night in NFL preseason action in Jacksonville.
It was the former BYU quarterback’s first game taking offensive snaps with the Saints since he joined the team in Week 1 of the regular season last year. He took over for Tom Savage at quarterback after Savage played nearly the entire first quarter, sans the final play of the half when Hill took a knee.
By the end of the night, Hill had a game-high 52 yards on seven carries, including a 3-yard touchdown run to cut the Jaguars’ lead to 20-17 with 6:55 to play, capping an 81-yard drive.
Hill also completed 8 of 9 passes for a team-high 72 passing yards with a QB rating of 100.0. On the touchdown drive, Hill had the Saints’ two longest plays from scrimmage, a 21-yard run on the read option, followed by a 25-yard pass to Tre’Quan Smith on the next play down to the Jacksonville 3.
“Well, those were designed runs, a couple of them, and then he made a couple of good plays with his feet. He’s a good football player,” New Orleans coach Sean Payton said during the postgame press conference, according to the team's website.
He played on special teams as well, including serving as the holder for extra points and field goals.
Hill’s first two drives did not lead to any points. The first one ended in Jaguars territory after he was sacked on third and fourth downs, and Jacksonville drove for a touchdown with solid field position. An unnecessary roughness penalty then stalled Hill’s second drive deep in Jacksonville's territory.
Hill sat after his third drive, and rookie J.T. Barrett quarterbacked the game-winning score, a short 30-yard drive — all on the ground — set up by a Jacksonville fumble.
Savage and Hill are in competition to back up the Saints’ All-Pro starting quarterback Drew Brees.
Savage started Thursday for New Orleans and had a good night, completing 10 of 14 passes for 70 yards. In three first-half drives, led New Orleans on a 33-yard drive that ended with a field goal and a 12-play, 78-yard touchdown drive.
Neither quarterback turned the ball over.
“We’ll see the tape. Both of them were competing. There were some good things. Taysom did some good things running the ball and Tom made a few nice throws," Payton said in the press conference.
Other highlight performances from Utah ties included:
Luke Falk, QB, Logan High: The rookie made his NFL debut and completed 10 of 19 passes for 105 yards and a touchdown for a QB rating of 86.5 for Tennessee in a 31-17 loss to Green Bay.
He came on near the end of the third quarter and led four drives that resulted in a lost fumble, a punt and a turnover on downs before the Titans scored on his final drive.
On his fourth drive, Falk led Tennessee 36 yards on eight plays, going 3 of 7 on the drive before hitting tight end Tim Semisch for a 9-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-goal.
Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU: Williams started at running back for Green Bay and scored on an 8-yard reception on the Packers’ first drive off a second-and-goal pass from Brett Hundley. He added five carries for 16 yards while playing in the first half.
Kyler Fackrell, LB, Utah State: Fackrell started at outside linebacker for the Packers and had sacked Tennessee’s Marcus Mariota on the second play of the game. He finished with two tackles, including one solo, the sack and a quarterback hurry.
Josh Thornton, CB, Southern Utah: Thornton had two pass deflections for Houston in a 17-10 win over Kansas City, including one on fourth-and-goal at the Houston 3 with under 20 seconds to play. He prevented Chiefs tight end Alex Ellis from making the catch and ending Kansas City’s last chance to score.
Joe Williams, RB, Utah: Williams scored on a 1-yard touchdown run late in the first half, capping an 85-yard scoring drive for San Francisco in a 24-21 win over Dallas. He had 11 carries for 27 yards and added two receptions for 15 yards for the 49ers.
Here’s a look at how other NFL locals performed Thursday night:
SAINTS 24, JAGUARS 20
- Marcus Williams, S, Utah: Started at free safety and had two solo tackles on the game’s first drive.
- Hunter Dimick, DE, Utah and Syracuse High: Started at defensive end and had one solo tackle.
- Sealver Siliga, DT, Utah and Copper Hills High: Had four solo tackles, including a stop on a third-and-2 run for a gain of 1 yard.
PANTHERS 28, BILLS 23
- Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State and Jordan High: Started at center.
- Jared Norris, LB, Utah: Had four solo tackles, tied for second on the team.
- Kaelin Clay, WR/PR, Utah: Caught two passes for 12 yards.
- Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State: Had a solo tackle on a third down, forcing a punt on the next play.
- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, Snow College and Bingham High: Started at defensive tackle.
- De’Ondre Wesley, OT, BYU: Came on in reserve.
BENGALS 30, BEARS 27
- Nick Vigil, LB, Utah State and Fremont High: Started at strongside linebacker and had two solo tackles.
- Kylie Fitts, OLB, Utah: Had an assisted tackle for a 3-yard loss.
- Patrick Scales, LS, Utah State and Weber High: Was the team’s long snapper and had an assisted tackle on special teams.
BUCCANEERS 26, DOLPHINS 24
- Stevie Tu’ikolovatu, DE, Utah and East High: Had an assisted tackle.
- Isaac Asiata, OL, Utah and Spanish Fork High: Came on as a reserve.
- Jalen Davis, CB, Utah State: Had an assisted tackle and returned two kickoffs for 55 yards.
- John Denney, LS, BYU: Was the team’s long snapper on field goals and extra points.
BROWNS 20, GIANTS 10
- Micah Hannemann, DB, BYU and Lone Peak High: Had a solo tackle.
- Nate Orchard, OLB, Utah and Highland High: Had three pass deflections, including two on one possession.
- Hunter Sharp, WR, Utah State: Caught two passes for 16 yards and had two kickoff returns for 62 yards and a punt return for minus-3 yards, as well as a special-teams tackle.
STEELERS 31, EAGLES 14
- Brian Allen, CB, Utah: Came on as a reserve.
- Haloti Ngata, DT, Highland High: Came on as a reserve.
RAVENS 33, RAMS 7
- Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU and Timpview High: Had two solo tackles, including an 8-yard tackle for loss.
- Kai Nacua, S, BYU: Had three tackles, including two solo stops. That included a third-down tackle for a 9-yard gain on third-and-10.
- Eric Weddle, S, Utah: Started at free safety.
- Dominique Hatfield, CB, Utah: Had a solo tackle and a pass deflection.
- McKay Murphy, DT, Weber State and Lone Peak High: Came on as a reserve.
- JoJo Natson, WR/PR, Utah State: Caught two passes for 14 yards and had four punt returns for 57 yards and seven kickoff returns for 161 yards.
- Kendal Thompson, WR, Utah: Came on as a reserve.
PATRIOTS 26, REDSKINS 17
- Harvey Langi, LB, BYU, Utah and Bingham High: Did not play.
- Eric Rowe, CB, Utah: Had three tackles, including two solo stops.
- Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU: Started at linebacker and had an assisted tackle.
- Kapri Bibbs, RB, Snow College: Had four carries for a team-high 48 rushing yards, including a 41-yard run, and added an 11-yard reception.
- Tony Bergstrom, OL, Utah and Skyline High: Started at center.
- Alex Smith, QB, Utah: Did not play.
- Fish Smithson, CB, Highland High: Had three assisted tackles.
- Zach Vigil, LB, Utah State and Clearfield High: Started at middle linebacker and had four solo tackles.
PACKERS 31, TITANS 17
- Marwin Evans, S, Utah State: Had a solo tackle.
- Devante Mays, RB, Utah State: Not active for game.
- LeShaun Sims, CB, Southern Utah: Forced a fumble on special teams and had two solo tackles and a pair of pass deflections, to go with a special teams tackle.
- Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, Timpview High: Came on as a reserve.
- Jason Thompson, S, Utah: Had three tackles, including a solo stop.
TEXANS 17, CHIEFS 10
- Algernon Brown, FB, BYU and Skyline High: Came on as a reserve.
- Jordan Devey, OL, Snow College and American Fork High: Came on as a reserve.
- Marcus Kemp, WR, Layton High: Made a tackle on a play where Kansas City’s Chad Henne threw an interception.
- Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State: Had six carries for 18 yards and added four receptions for 12 yards, as well as a kickoff return for 24 yards.
COLTS 19, SEAHAWKS 17
- Dres Anderson, WR, Utah: Came on as a reserve.
- Tomasi Laulile, DT, BYU: Had an assisted tackle.
- Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State: Had six carries for a team-high 27 rushing yards and added two receptions for 18 yards.
Seattle26 comments on this story
- Maurice Alexander, S, Utah State: Did not play.
- Ricky Ali’ifua, DE, Utah State: Had a pass deflection on third down, forcing a punt on the next play.
- Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State: Started at middle linebacker and had a solo tackle, stopping a third-and3 play for a gain of 1 yard.
49ERS 24, COWBOYS 21
- Tre’von Johnson, LB, Weber State and Hunter High: Had four tackles, including two solo stops.
- Dalton Schultz, TE, Bingham High: Had one catch for 6 yards and was targeted three times.
- Pita Taumoepenu, LB, Utah and Timpview High: Had two solo tackles.
- Fred Warner, LB, BYU: Not active for game.