Salt Lake County Jail
Kennedy Grant Lund, 23, of West Valley City, was arrested Tuesday night for investigation of two counts of murder in the shooting deaths of Chasidy Gerber, 37, and Martin Barron, 33.

WEST VALLEY CITY — West Valley police continued Wednesday to try and understand why they say a naked man — without saying anything — shot and killed two people living in a trailer in his backyard.

The double killing occurred Tuesday night. Kennedy Lund, 23, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of murder in the deaths of Chasidy Gerber, 37, and Martin Barron, 33.

Investigators say Lund did not have an argument or any ongoing dispute with the two victims and didn't say a word to them before shooting and killing them.

In addition, Lund does not have any known criminal history.

West Valley police were called to 1431 W. 3350 South about 7:15 p.m. Tuesday "on report of a naked male with an AR-15. It was reported that this male, Kennedy Lund, had just shot two people, a man and woman, and they were now deceased," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.

Lund lives inside the main house on the property with his mother and others who rent rooms, said West Valley police spokeswoman Roxeanne Vainuku. The property also has a single-wide trailer in the backyard that was being rented.

In a Facebook post from January, Lund said that he was "looking for one more respectable roommate to move into a four-bedroom, really nice house that I will be renting out at the end of February. … Potential future roomies must be comfortable with multiple people vaping indoors."

A man who is the main renter of the trailer was outside with his young children when a naked Lund — who was holding a gun — approached him, Vainuku said. The man asked what was going on and then went inside the trailer with his children.

Gerber and Barron, who had been living in the trailer with the man for about a month, exited the trailer, presumably to find out what was happening, she said. That's when Lund fired multiple shots, possibly as many as five, Vainuku said.

"There's no (verbal) exchange at all. He doesn't have any sort of exchange with them or disagreement or argument or anything. He just starts shooting and kills them both," she said.

After the shootings, Lund went across the street to another house where his father lives and confronted him.

"His father said Kennedy was acting crazy and attempted to disarm him. In a struggle over the weapon, two more rounds were fired within the garage area," the report states.

No one was injured in that incident. Other family members were able to take the gun away from Lund and call 911, Vainuku said.

When officers arrived, a female family member was in front of the house holding the weapon, said Vainuku. When police sorted out what was happening, they surrounded the father's house and convinced Lund to surrender a short time later without further incident.

Comment on this story

After he was taken into custody, she said detectives were unable to interview Lund "due to medical concerns." When asked to elaborate, Vainuku said officers had "behavioral and mental" concerns with Lund who was in a "highly agitated state."

"While he was being detained, Kennedy became violent and resistant to officers' commands and had to be sedated and transported to Jordan Valley West Hospital for further evaluation" before being transported to jail, the report states.

Investigators are waiting for toxicology tests to be completed, but Vainuku said there was no evidence Wednesday of any drug use by Lund.