Skankey Family via University of Utah
Five-month-old Alice Skankey was killed in a three-car crash in Herriman Monday night, police said. The rest of her family headed home from the hospital Wednesday, according to the child's grandfather Robert Skankey. He said he will remember the infant's big eyes and "smiley" demeanor.

HERRIMAN — Two days after an infant girl was killed in a three-car crash on the Mountain View Corridor, the rest of her family headed home from the hospital.

Alice Skankey, 5-months-old, died when a GMC pickup truck plowed into her family's minivan at the intersection of the Mountain View Corridor and Rosecrest Road (13400 South) Monday evening. Her family was on their way back from dinner and decided to stop at the grocery store when the crash occurred.

Alice's parents, Bryce and Tonya Skankey, and their 2-year-old daughter Yuki sustained scratches and bruises but no broken bones. They are expected to make a full recovery, Bryce Skankey's father told reporters Wednesday near University Hospital in Salt Lake City.

"It's amazing to me how they got out of it almost unscathed," Robert Skankey said, fighting back tears. "And it's amazing to me that Alice was taken. That juxtaposition is hard."

He said the girl was bright-eyed and smiley, and was beginning to interact more with those around her.

The girl's mother, 24, and father, 26, sought to thank first responders and workers at Primary Children's Hospital, he said, noting they have received an "outpouring of love and support" as they grieve. They reserve judgment on the driver of the truck, Robert Skankey said.

A GoFundMe campaign seeks to raise money for the young family.

Also on Wednesday, several people shared concerns about the safety of the road at the Herriman City Council's regularly scheduled meeting, where city leaders also spoke emotionally about the girl's death. A Utah Department of Transportation representative told the council that the agency has begun an investigation.

Troy Carr, chief of police services for Unified police in Herriman, said his officers have stepped up enforcement on Mountain View Corridor and have tallied 101 accidents on the road in the last 2 1/2 years.

"We are concerned about what's happening at that specific intersection," he said, adding that crashes there are "dramatic" due to a higher speed limit, 55 mph, combined with a hill and turn.

On Monday, a truck driven by Lawrence Probert, 26, hit two other vehicles in the intersection when he ran a red light, according to police. Prior to the crash, officers received multiple reports of a reckless driver in a pickup truck heading north on the Mountain View Corridor.

Probert's vehicle also bulldozed a Dodge Dakota, police say.

Probert remained hospitalized Wednesday in serious condition. Unified police said others involved in the crash were upgraded to fair or serious. they include a 34-year-old man driving the Dodge and a 24-year-old woman who was a passenger in Probert's vehicle.

Authorities previously said the toddler injured in the crash was 3 years old, but her family Wednesday said the girl is 2 years old.

"I was about six cars back from their van when this senseless act occurred," one woman commented on the GoFundMe page. "I can't stop crying as my heart is broken for this family. There are just no words that will make this better."

Probert, of Kearns, pleaded guilty to drug possession, a class B misdemeanor, in 2016 in 4th District Court in Provo, and was sentenced to probation, according to court records. But in December, he was ordered to appear in court for violating the conditions of his probation, including not completing a drug treatment evaluation. When he failed to show up to court on Feb. 7, a warrant was issued for his arrest.

6 comments on this story

In 2011, Probert was convicted of theft by receiving stolen property and attempted theft by receiving stolen property. He was given a suspended prison sentence and put on probation but violated that and was sent to jail for eight months in 2014, court records state. In 2015, he violated his probation again and was sent to jail for 10 days. In 2017, he violated probation yet again and was ordered to enter a drug treatment house.

in 2012, Probert was convicted of DUI in one case and retail theft in another. In 2011 he was convicted of attempting to give false information to law enforcement.