1 of 3
Audrey McAvoy, AP
FILE - In this Jan. 13, 2018 file photo, Diamond Head, an extinct volcanic crater, and high-rises are seen in Honolulu. Gov. David Ige has appointed state Army National Guard Brig. Gen. Kenneth Hara as new head of Hawaii's emergency management agency after a faulty alert was sent to cellphones around the state warning of an incoming missile attack. (AP Photo/Audrey McAvoy, file)

Hawaii wasn’t prepared to respond to a nuclear attack last month when it sent out a test notification for its alert system, according to a new report released on Tuesday.

As The New York Times reported, the Hawaii Department of Defense released an internal review that looked into the incident last month, after an alert was sent to cellphones, televisions and radio stations that said the state was about to experience an inbound missile.

"BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL," the alert said.

Marco Garcia, FR132415 AP
This smartphone screen capture shows a false incoming ballistic missile emergency alert sent from the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency system on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Marco Garcia)

Brig. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the second in command at the Department of Defense, conducted the review.

"The response and recovery sections of the plan were minimally developed," Hara's report said, according to The New York Times. "The plan lacked clear details for sheltering, county coordination and protocols for decision to send out all clear or false missile alert messages, e.g., interception, missile impact without effect to Hawaii, etc."

The report said that the public didn’t receive proper direction on what to during the drill.

As BuzzFeed News reported, the report said the state would need nearly $800,000 “to produce an effective and functional strategic plan“ and nearly $500,000 to “conduct a public outreach and education program.”

Jennifer Kelleher, AP
This smartphone screen capture shows a false incoming ballistic missile emergency alert sent from the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency system on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Jennifer Kelleher)
7 comments on this story

In January, Hawaii officials apologized after they sent the alert. It happened during a shift change and was sent accidentally, according to the Associated Press.

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted that there wasn’t any real threat 10 minutes after the first alert was sent. A second alert came through saying the alert was a “false alarm.”

Hawaii Gov. David Ige vowed changes at the time.

"I am sorry for the pain and confusion it caused. I, too, am extremely upset about this and am doing everything I can do to immediately improve our emergency management systems, procedures and staffing," Ige said.