Just west of the Elkhorn River in eastern Nebraska is the town of Fremont, Dodge County.
Brigham Young and the vanguard pioneer company of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints arrived there on April 16, 1847. They had now reached the Platte River, which they would follow for several hundred miles. Some consider the site of the Fremont Camp to be where the pioneer company began their journey west in earnest (see William Hartley and Gary Anderson, in "Sacred Places, Vol. 5," edited by LaMar Berrett).
Company member Norton Jacob noted that members of the company were arranged in military order. Moreover, he recorded that there were 143 men, three women, two children and 73 wagons (see "The Mormon Vanguard Brigade of 1847: Norton Jacob’s Record," edited by Ronald O. Barney).Comment on this story
Today, there is a historical marker with an interpretive plaque situated on the edge of Barnard Park in the town of Fremont. It is located on Military Avenue between Irving and Clarkson Streets. The plaque briefly interprets the Latter-day Saint trek west and notes their military organization executed in the Fremont area in 1847. Several sites in Fremont allow access to the Platte River, and it was there that the pioneer company began to follow it.
A bit further west is an interpretive panel just inside the east entrance to Fremont Lakes State Recreation Area. It is just to the right of the toll kiosk. There is also a large interpretive panel on highway 30 at the western entrance to Fremont Lakes State Recreation Area. At this point, U.S. Highway 30 closely follows the route utilized by Brigham Young and the pioneer company.