Here’s a look at the news for Jan. 9.
Hundreds worry over 7-Eleven hepatitis A scare
Hundreds of people have called the Salt Lake County Health Department to ask about a recent hepatitis A outbreak from a West Jordan 7-Eleven store, according to the Deseret News.
Salt Lake County health workers said nearly 2,000 people could be at risk for contracting the virus.
"We have nine call-takers … at our call center, and the phones are constantly busy," Nicholas Rupp, Salt Lake County Health Department spokesman, told the Deseret News. "The phones haven't stopped."
Rupp said he recommended 256 people seek out the vaccine since they were experiencing risky symptoms.
Read more at the Deseret News.
Romney treated for prostate cancer
Over the summer, Mitt Romney was treated for prostate cancer, according to the Deseret News.
"Last year, Gov. Mitt Romney was diagnosed with slow-growing prostate cancer. The cancer was removed surgically and found not to have spread beyond the prostate," a Romney aide said in a statement to the Deseret News.
The aide told the Deseret News that all is well with the 2012 presidential candidate.
The 70-year-old Romney remains in good condition and is expected to announce whether he will run for the Utah Senate now that current Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch announced he will retire at the end of his term.
Read more at the Deseret News.
North Korea headed to the Winter Olympics
North Korea and South Korea had a little chat on Monday ahead of next month’s Winter Games, and North Korea seemed to benefit from it, according to USA Today.
North Korea will send athletes, a cheering squad and high-ranking officials to South Korea, a move that is “a notable diplomatic breakthrough between the two countries after months of rising tensions over the North's missile and nuclear weapons programs,” USA Today reported.
The two Koreas agreed to talk about the military, too, hoping to ease any tension before the athletic celebrations next month.
The meeting of the two Koreas was the first in nearly two years.
Read more at USA Today.
NYT obits editor responds to Monson obituary criticism
The New York Times obituaries editor William McDonald responded to criticism he received about LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson’s obituary released last week.
As the Deseret News reported, McDonald’s obituary inspired a petition for a rewrite, as well as outcry from readers about how The New York Times did not provide a rounded view of the late president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“I’ll concede that what we portrayed was the public man, not the private one, or the one known to his most ardent admirers,” McDonald said. “In 20/20 hindsight, we might have paid more attention to the high regard with which he was held within the church. I think by his very position in the church, all that was implied. But perhaps we should have stated it more plainly.”
McDonald defended NYT’s obituary and addressed other issues related to the article.
Read more about the obituary at the Deseret News.2 comments on this story
Read McDonald’s thoughts at The New York Times.
The Washington Post: After a hazing death, a judge bans a fraternity from Pennsylvania