1 of 5
Gustavo Ramirez

PROVO — Two people who pleaded guilty in connection with a Provo gang killing have been sentenced to prison.

Brayden Kenneth Marshall, 19, was sentenced Wednesday to at least five years and up to life in prison for aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony. An additional prison sentence of one to 15 years for manslaughter, a second-degree felony, was ordered to run concurrently.

Maria Guadalupe Hernandez, 19, received the same sentence last month.

The two pleaded guilty in deals with prosecutors that reduced a murder charge against them in the shooting death of 24-year-old Gustavo Ramirez.

Marshall and Hernandez were charged alongside two others in Ramirez's death. Jerry Otis Hawley, 34, was also charged with murder, while the alleged gunman in the shooting, Jesse William Gourdin, 22, was charged with aggravated murder.

According to police, the group went to Ramirez's home, 71 N. 400 West, on March 13 to take a metal box full of cash and recover a backpack that Hernandez said belonged to her. Charging documents say Hawley drove the group to the house, then waited in the car with Hernandez.

Wearing bandanas over their faces, Gourdin and Marshall tried unsuccessfully to enter the home through the front door before breaking in at another door, charges state.

Once the door was open, Gourdin rushed in shooting, police say.

After the shooting, Hawley drove the group back to Marshall's home, the charges say. Ramirez's girlfriend took him to Utah Valley Hospital, where he was later declared dead.

According to police, the four people accused in Ramirez's death are members of one gang, while the occupants of the house they broke into belong to a rival gang.

3 comments on this story

Gourdin, or Orem, was ordered last month to stand trial on the aggravated murder charge, a first-degree felony carrying a potential death sentence, and other charges associated with the shooting. He is challenging the gang enhancement on the case and is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

Hawley, who admitted to being the getaway driver in the burglary, pleaded guilty to burglary and robbery charges. The Eagle Mountain man was sentenced in August to a year in jail, with credit given for the approximately 160 days he had already served.