Stock image
The search for two men whose plane went missing resumed Sunday to no avail and will now be scaled back.

BRIGHAM CITY — The search for two men whose plane went missing resumed Sunday to no avail and will now be scaled back.

Family members, however, are now soliciting the public for tips on the plane's location, police said.

A red and white Cessna 172, piloted by Denny Mansell, 71, and carrying Peter Ellis, 74, left the Ogden airport about 3:30 p.m. and was expected to return approximately an hour later, the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office says.

Their aircraft was first reported missing about 9:30 p.m. Friday. Its tail number is N4395R.

The two men were making a sightseeing trip to view trains from the air at Golden Spike National Historic Site at Promontory Point. Box Elder County Chief Deputy Sheriff Dale Ward asked that anyone who may have seen a plane in the area of the historic site Friday, or if anyone took photographs, to send tips to [email protected]

It is possible that those attending the site's Winter Steam Festival at the time would have seen something or captured something in a picture they took, Ward said.

"If we can establish that they flew (near there) it will help narrow the search area," he said.

Ward also said Sunday that "there have been several tips that have come in (to police) and all have been investigated." No definitive leads, however, have developed.

1 comment on this story

The sheriff's office has been joined by the county's search and rescue crews, the Utah Department of Public Safety, the Civic Air Patrol, and volunteers in searching for the plane both from the air and on the ground in areas surrounding Promontory Point. A boat patrol from the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation also joined the search Sunday, according to Ward.

However, officials decided after a meeting late Sunday afternoon that the Department of Public Safety and Civil Air Patrol would no longer continue in the search.

"It was determined … that the search area has been covered from the air at least once and some areas multiple times," he said.

Among the remaining agencies, "ground search efforts will be scaled back but continue," Ward said.